Leg Quarters

Tim Jordan

TVWBB Member
What's the maximum amount of leg quarters I can possibly get on both racks of my WSM , Food Lion has a good sale this week .29 per lb . I've read several methods on the search , sounds like brine for a couple of hours and the direct heat at around 350 for a nice crispy skin. At that temp I guess it would take about 2 hours for a full smoker ?

Tim,

I just did leg quarters via Keri C's Turbo Chicken. You can find this 'recipe' under Poultry Recipe's on this site. Just scroll down to the subject 'Keri's Turbo Chicken'. It came out great. One thing I would change if I did it again tho would be to add less smoke wood. I put on 3 small chunks of apple, and although the chicken came out excellent, it was just a tad to apple-sweet for me. I believe she uses wood pellets in her cooks, so I can't compare how my apple chunks would compare to the wood pellets as I've haven't used them yet...

Oh yes, I cooked 6 leg quarters on the top grate when I did it. WSM hung around 325*. Took about 50 minutes to cook. I would shoot for a cooker temp of at least 350*, if not hotter if you use this method of cooking them...

Ron

The only limitation on number would be to allow enough space so they have a some circulation around them - not jamed up against each other. I have no problem in using upper and lower grate when only cooking chicken.

Paul

Back