Leg Of Lamb?

Rusty James

TVWBB Emerald Member
A first time purchase for me. How should I season this? How long should I smoke it, and with what wood?

I don’t usually smoke lamb, but, I’d trust our fearless leaders suggestion.
I’m a garlic, rosemary, olive oil, fairly high heat, indirect guy most of the time.
Julia Child did an “Indoor, Outdoor Barbecue” menu where she butterflied the leg and marinated in the above seasoning with the addition of some Dijon mustard and soy sauce (if memory serves) and it is an absolute delight!
The cocktail that her husband designed to have before it is another wonderful summer treat! It’s called a “Bhudda’s Eye” and oh boy! Stick to the breast rule with these or there will be consequences! (1 is not enough, 3 are too many).

So I take it good ole hickory is not the best choice for smoke wood here?

Thanks for the replies!

I ain't felt worth a hoot these past few weeks, so in a pinch, I went with a McCormick's Mesquite marinate with pecan for smoke wood. I cooked the leg ( 3lb, boneless) to about 145° using Royal Oak All Natural briquettes in the 14" WSM. The lamb came out pretty good with no gamey taste at all.

I'd still like to try some of the posted suggestions above after I get to feeling better. The whole family was sick with fever at Christmas. We thought it was Covid at first, but no one tested positive, so it must have been a seasonal illness going around.

I ain't felt worth a hoot these past few weeks, so in a pinch, I went with a McCormick's Mesquite marinate with pecan for smoke wood. I cooked the leg ( 3lb, boneless) to about 145° using Royal Oak All Natural briquettes in the 14" WSM. The lamb came out pretty good with no gamey taste at all.

I'd still like to try some of the posted suggestions above after I get to feeling better. The whole family was sick with fever at Christmas. We thought it was Covid at first, but no one tested positive, so it must have been a seasonal illness going around.
Thank goodness, hope you all will be back to normal real soon.

Back