Leftover Pulled Pork

Kevin Witt

Leftover pulled pork is supposed to be fantastic but mine often comes out of the oven dry. I simply place the meat on foil and bake at around 350. What does everyone else do?

I got some great tips from some of the guys on this board. You are cooking at too high of a temp. First, be sure you are storing the meat tightly sealed in a ziplock bag or container in the fridge. To warm, wrap tightly in HD foil, and pour in a small amount of apple juice. Warm at 300 or lower for 20-30 minutes. Do 250 if you have the patience to wait. Works great for me.

Do you mean just on a piece of foil that's open? If so, yes it will dry out on you. Seal the foil up very tight when reheating in the oven. Also you can Microwave 50% power covered and stir every min till hot. Crock pot, don't over do it here, as in leave it on low for hrs on end, can dry out on you very fast. For all the above you can add some kind of liquid to it to help. Alot use apple juice, I prefer a finishing sauce or vegtable/chciken stock. IMO, vac sealing then reheating in hot water is the best way to avoid dry meat. HTH

It isn't so much the oven temp as it is the time. But too high a temp can cause the surfaces of the meat to dry before the whole lot is hot. I reheat in a pan--covered--usually at around 300-325, stirring once after the first, 20 minutes or so and then every 5-10 thereafter, depending on how thickly the pan is filled. A moisture addition up front can be helpful, as RJ notes. When I first pull the pork I add a T or two of finishing sauce for each handful I pull. I will sometimes add a little extra splash of this for reheating.

Keeping the pork covered lessens the impact of direct heat. Giving it a while to heat then stirring, then stirring periodically after, makes heating more even. Not going past the point of a good serving temp will also keep the pork moist. Once temps are above 150 the pork starts cooking again and it really cooks as temps climb higher. Taste--and when it is a good serving temp: pull it out of the oven.

Great tips, thanks guys. Looks like I need to devote more time to preparing the leftovers.

Funny now that I think about it. I have no problem cooking it for 20 hours but when I want to eat it on another day I am rushing to throw it in the oven for 15 minutes.

Kevin's advice is always spot on.

I use the following technique, which always seems to turn out just fine.

I always store leftovers in a foodsaver bag and freeze in individual serving sizes, which makes it perfect when you are craving just a single sando. I'll put the leftover pork left in the bag in a pot of water and keep the heat just at or below simmering for about 10-15 minutes. Works like a dream.

Back