Leftover charcoal for MM

Steve C.

I should have asked all my questions at once!

I have leftover charcoal from a previous smoke. They are a little smaller than new briquets. Is there any problem using this as my "starter" charcoals for the the Minion Method? I hate for them to go to waste.

Shake the grate, whatever is left throw in the starter for your next round. Or just throw it on top of the fresh batch in the ring.

I have found that using them along with the unlit for your next MM cook can cause an uneven burning. Fresh briqs burn at a different rate than the used ones. However, the used ones do work well for lit when using MM and they also do well in your kettle or other grill for direct grilling. They will burn similiar to lump. As stated, however you use them, be sure you keep them dry.

Paul

Hi Steve,

I wired my charcoal ring to the charcoal grate. You can find it mentioned briefly here.

Once a cook is done and things have cooled down, I just grab the ring/grate assembly and shake out the ash into the bottom of the cooker. Any briqs small enough to fall through were too small to use anyway. Add more briqs to reach the volume I want, and I'm ready to go. For the next cook, I'll start about 20 briqs and dump them on top (Minion Method).

The Kingsford Briquette is a homogenous product; the inside is the same as the outside. If anything, the fact that some of the partially spent briquettes are smaller in diameter than fresh ones means they can pack together tighter. A tighter, more densly packed charcoal ring could bring longer burn times, if that's what you're after.

The stream of charcoal into my ring/grate assembly has been one-way for about 7-8 months now, and all I can say is that it's made my life easier and neater. After a few cooks, I just lift the whole assembly aside and scoop out the ash. Simple.

Kevin, has anyone ever tried a combination of lump and Kingsford? The lump would give you the temp but less ash. The kingsford would give you the long burning time but you have to deal with the ash build up

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The kingsford would give you the long burning time but you have to deal with the ash build up </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I'm not picking on you but why do so many say Lump does not burn as long as Kinsford? I can fill my charcoal ring up with lump 8-9 lbs and get 18 - 20+ hrs out of that depending on which brand lump i'm using. Just curious as to why so many say it burns hotter (it will if you let it) than Kingsford and doesn't last as long. Lump it's what i'm cooking over.

Paul-

As a matter of fact, my basket has a pretty good mix of lump and briqs- about 20-25% lump. I use my WSM for everything, so when I grill steaks I use only lump, and whatever is left over just stays in the basket.

Bryan's point is right on the money. Lump only burns hotter if you let it. I use lump for grilling steaks because I want a scary hot fire. Running wide open, lump gives me what I'm looking for. But when it's time to do things low-n-slow, a simple adjustment of the vents brings lump under easy control. I've gone through periods when I've burned only lump, but I'm a cheapskate so I buy Kingsford the first time I see a sale sign.
icon_rolleyes.gif

Bryan and Kevin, thanks for the responses. I wasn't pleased with the ash I got on my last smoke from Kingsford BUT in all honesty it could have been me still tweeking my WSM. Would like to try some lump to see how it fares.

Paul I use lump exclusively and have to agree that it only burns hotter if you let it. I have tried kingsford before however, and didn't find it burned any longer.

To be quite honest I am very suprised that more people here don't use lump. There are some very knowledgeable people on this site, all with lot's more experience than me, but I personally get better flavour out of lump.
It makes sense to me that you would, as you are basically burning real wood and not a by-product of wood. This is just my opinion however and there has been great debate over this topic on the forums, and I'm sure it will go on and on and on for a long time to come.

I prefer lump also, no problems with long burns and temps. as stable as briquettes. It's really no more difficult to manage than Kingsford. I'm not sure that the end product tasted any better though. The only thing that holds me back from using it exclusively is cost.
Sure smells good!

Not to have this thread get off topic, but I use lump and I get very long burn times and have no problem controlling temp.

As for using up the left over charcoal, I've never had any problem with it.

Good luck.

I found a place that sells no-name lump for 14 bucks a cubic yard. I don't know if that's cheap, or not. They run a BBQ catering business, and have lots of different smoking woods for sale as well.

Chad

I use the leftovers in the pile of unlit and always use new uniform charcoal for the starters on top. I also aways use the Minion Method with a dry pan and the guru...

I don't usually have enough charcoal left after a cook to save. I have gotten into the habit of pulling the midle section off of the lower section as soon as it is cool enough and just tlet the coals burn out. Otherwise I get a mess with the water pan when it dries out.

As far as the lump goes. I have noticed that around here lump is not as easy to find as Kingsford. It has also been my experience that the lump will burn hotter and faster when you need it to. For instance at the end of a long cook when your smoker temps start to fade before the meat is done. The lump will bring the temps up faster than the Kingsford.

Back