Left over BRITU rub?

I had some of Chris Lily's butt rub in a glad lock container from about two months ago and used it on ribs yesterday. Tasted great to me.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Don NICKLES:
It is a month and a half old. Been sitting in a shaker in my pantry. Still fine or start over?
Thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
It's fine too use. I'm sure the spices you used to make the rub are still in the cupboard, so no reason why the rub wouldn't be any good.
icon_wink.gif

I'd throw it away.

Not because it's gone spoiled, just because I don't like the BRITU rub, it's way too salty for me. I honestly don't know why people rave about it so much, but to each their own.

I only use 1/2 the salt (kosher salt) called for in the recipe for medical reasons, eveything else is the same. Don't forget 5 parts Masterpiece barbeque sauce and the 1 part sourwood honey. My rub was left over from last year and was fine.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Don Irish:
I'm with Alan....toss it...way to salty for my tastes. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Don,

Nobody in my family likes it...
icon_rolleyes.gif

I've been working on perfecting a miso sauce for ribs, and it's getting close. The last time I marinated for a few hours before smoking, they weren't too bad. My wife suggests marinating in miso sauce for at least 1-2 days and it should be a stronger taste like I'm looking for. Miso is a funny ingredient to play with, too much and it's way over powering, not enough and you can't taste it...

Regards,
Alan

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Frank Mastrogiovanni:
I only use 1/2 the salt (kosher salt) called for in the recipe for medical reasons, eveything else is the same. Don't forget 5 parts Masterpiece barbeque sauce and the 1 part sourwood honey. My rub was left over from last year and was fine.
wsmsmile8gm.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I still use BRITU and Meathead's Magic Dust (fron that other site) just cuz I haven't found anything better. I don't like lots of garlic or any heat at all, just flavor all the way for me! For sauce I mix up some KC Masterpiece, a clover-based honey and a little grade-B/Amber real maple syrup. Mmmmmmmm.

I was very careful not to use too much rub and it has been great 2 different times. Not too salty at all but I have not tried them without the sauce with honey. My real question about the rub was regarding the brown sugar and it seemed to be fine.

Alan, I'd love to try out the miso...post a recipe when you are happy with it. As for BRITU, years ago I had cut back on my salt intake (not for any reason other than flavor). I'm a big fan of Kevin's approach of salting the meat then applying salt free rub. I've never tried this rub without the salt...I'd bet it is quite good.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Don NICKLES:
I was very careful not to use too much rub and it has been great 2 different times. Not too salty at all but I have not tried them without the sauce with honey. My real question about the rub was regarding the brown sugar and it seemed to be fine. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Don-

I almost always make more rub than I need from a recipe, and keep the leftover in a ziploc in my spice cabinet. Nice for a quick sprinkle on steak/burger/pasta or whatever else. I won't save it if I used fresh or moist ingredients, and it seems that dry items that are toasted/crushed/ground will lose some of their potency quicker (think fresh ground pepper vs. a can of pre-ground pepper), but in general you shouldn't have any problem. Second time I did britu I made a double batch with half the salt, and kept the extra to use like a seasoned salt. Just break up any clumps and use it on whatever you want! (And in the mean time check out some of the other rubs listed in the recipe forum!
icon_wink.gif
)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Don Irish:
Alan, I'd love to try out the miso...post a recipe when you are happy with it. As for BRITU, years ago I had cut back on my salt intake (not for any reason other than flavor). I'm a big fan of Kevin's approach of salting the meat then applying salt free rub. I've never tried this rub without the salt...I'd bet it is quite good. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Don,

I'll post something soon. I am close to having a good taste, it's almost there.

It's not too hard to make, although when I say that my wife laughs as she makes it...:-/

Back