Left Handed Cows and Brisket

Brad W

TVWBB Super Fan
Really don't know if this has been discussed before but I found interesting.

At Amazing Ribs there is information on left handed cow briskets. Here's a quip:

"told me that, with the fat side down, on a left-handed brisket, with the narrow part closest to you, the point will curve to the right."

For a little local contest coming up I've actually been looking a packers at the local Walmart (the only place local I know of that has whole packers) the last couple of months. I've found a total of 2 so far that fit this description and bought both of them for the comp.

Has anyone ever heard of this and can possibly verify yes or no?

Not that it's going to make a difference for the comp at this time. Since I've not done a side by side comparison, what I have noticed is that there is much more of a bend with these two compared to the others available at those times. I figured for the same price across the board (getting to dam# expensive IMOA) I would try them comp. Or I have just cook one with a "right handed" one for comparison later.

Anywho, again, I was just wondering if there really was anything to this from experience from any members here.

I sure dont know much about left and right handed cows and brisket, but I thought I would let you know that Fareway usually has brisket in the back just have to ask, but if they dont they can and will order full packers for you. but I bet they already will have some ordered for our comp. coming up. No luck at the Hyvee in Storm Lake in getting full packers but the HyVee in Spencer has them at times.

The story of the miracle meat that is the left handed brisket has been out for at least 10 or 12 years and its fable gets rediscovered and makes another round every couple of years.

It's been a while but if memory serves, left handed brisket goes great with a side order of freshly caught snipe and a great tasting diet soda.

The science behind the tenderness claim is, I suppose, theoretically plausible but unless you pick a brisket from a cow that frenetically did thousands of squat thrusts with the fervor of a hopped-up Richard Simmons, the difference between one side and the other is insignificant.

Like most things based on beliefs, if cook honestly believes cooking only left handed briskets or, for that matter, wearing a lucky hat is really going to make a difference in the final product then it certainly will. To that cook.

Hocum is a word that's just not used often enough in the Internet age.

Of course, for truly jaw-droppingly delicous and juicy pork, there's nothing finer than smoking shoulders from an ambidextrous pig. But that's another factual story that hasn't been invented yet.

Ken

since reading about this a few years back, we like to take note on the side cows lay down on. When driving, and passing a field of cows, we'll try to count right and left side sleepers. Its a good challenge, since we're speeding past, the cows are all willy nilly, and well, its just something to break up the boredom of driving. And from our informal poll, there does not appear to be a preferred side. I'd imagine there would be other more severe consequences for an animal the mass of a cow, if it always laid on one side.

on a side note, its really interesting how legends like this persist. Somebody was asking me about how many spiders a person swallows in their sleep, so I looked it up on snopes. It turns out that this "fact" was part of a list of popular misconceptions from the 50's that some researcher dug up in the 90's to prove that people unquestionably believe anything sent to them via email. The very fact that this very persistent myth was revived to prove this point and still thrives to this day is very interesting.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chris Allingham:
You can read about tale of the left-handed brisket in the Brisket Selection & Preparation article...just click on the InfoBullet on the right for the details.

Regards,
Chris </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Chris, that's the same one I read at Amazing Ribs.

I have a couple of friends that own feed lots in central Kansas, thought about asking them to check out the sleeping habits. Probably nothing to it but it's fun trying to check things like this out. Still planning to do a side by side test sometime for s&g's.

One thing that has been a benefit is that I have learned to check brisket quality more than I used to while I've searched for "left-siders" which is a challenge around here due to limited supply.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by fred nevill:
I sure dont know much about left and right handed cows and brisket, but I thought I would let you know that Fareway usually has brisket in the back just have to ask, but if they dont they can and will order full packers for you. but I bet they already will have some ordered for our comp. coming up. No luck at the Hyvee in Storm Lake in getting full packers but the HyVee in Spencer has them at times. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, never been big on the meat in general at Hy-Vee and even less at Walmart. I mostly buy local meat at Fairway, knew they carry flats but didn't know they ordered packers. Will have to remember that. Good to know about Spencer too though I get to Sioux City more than Spencer. When I cook for fundraisers I always get meat and other ingredients from Fairway, Brian is really good about supporting local non-profits. I still get most of my meat from Kansas but haven't been back since I signed up for the comp and won't be going before the comp.

I've only been a member here for about a year and a half, so I guess I missed this 'theory' the last time it went around. I'm just a city boy, what do I know about cows, but just the thought of left- or right-handed cows gives me a smile that will last all day.

Thank You.

Back