Leaky WSM-Weber Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been having a real hard time..or i should say the guru has been having a hard time bringing the temp down....once it goes up it just wont come down.. now i know its pretty hard to do this anyways...i just checked and it seems that my bottom part and the middle section is not completly circle...its about 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch off....and the middle section rocks on the bottom section..mmm....i thought ther was to much smoke coming from there....i closed all vents last night and it burned at 250 for four hours with everything closed....looks like to much air is gettin in...anyways i just wanted to comment on weber Csupport cuz i was sooo soo shocked...i told them the prob and that i tried bending the sections.. and they said no no dont do that.. we dont want you to do that .. just send us your reciept and will send you out replacement parts.. How cool is that!!!!! they are going to send me a bottom and middle section....wow these guys are great.....
well you prob already know this but just wanted to share anyways......and like the saying goes here....buy the best and only cry once....that was the phrase that got me and im crying now...out of joy ..hehehehe
icon_eek.gif

take care

Hey Mords,

In the meantime consider getting a section of cotton T-Shirt, wet it down, and form a gasket. I remember reading about doing that somewhere in these forums and it makes sense to me. Cotton doesn't start burning until 500-600 degrees or so. Should help seal it up until you get the replacement parts. I would keep it trimmed up so it doesn't get into the burning charcoal though.

Just a thought.

Thanks chet i was thinking of something to do in the mean time.. i already tried some foil it didnt work so well, however i only tried stuffing it in after it was hot.. perhaps ill try again when its cool and lift the top and then make a real tight seal.....mmm the T-Shirt idea...not bad.. however if it bet the bottom part and the middle part itll prob get hotter than 500...more like 700 or greater....mmmm
wata ya think

thanks for the link anthony thats some pretty funny stuff......

Nahh.. 500* is really hot. Any minor strands will burn off, but if it is touching metal it will cool off (even in the California sun).

Burn off some charcoal and try it without preparing beef for your friend/family.

It will remain intact.

"Nahh.. 500* is really hot." (even in the California sun)

Sacramento, CA Forecast
High Low
102° | 63°
100° | 65°
104° | 63°
101° | 62°
94° | 61°

Hell, it's almost there
icon_biggrin.gif

If I were logging my ET-73 numbers, the stuff you posted would look like chump change. (the probes are hanging in the sun in the late afternoon).

alright..so maybe ill try puttin one of my tshirts inbetween folded over...i guess you wet it so it folds better eh... cuz its gonna dry but then i guess it pretty much wedged in there.....ok ill try it tom night...going fishing tom.marina del rey......oh i also ...its off topic so shhh but i grilled some burgers with some lump and some cherryy...oh man...i dont wanna ever go back to my gas grill....thanks guys

"the stuff you posted would look like chump change. (the probes are hanging in the sun in the late afternoon)."

Hmmmm. guess so, butt, add the heat index in there from the higher humidity in areas like gulf coast Texas, Florida, and N.O....You've been there, Baha CA.
icon_razz.gif

G'nite y'all
icon_wink.gif

chet and everyone else.. thanks for your idea about the T-shirt gasket.....i did that and the guru seems to be working like its supposed maintaining the temp.. not like last time when the temp just never went down...thanks.. ill have pics prob later tonight or tom morn..
ill start another post...im doing a modifide monster ribs again.....

Mord I have the same problem although not as bad as you. I read about the tshirt fix on "The BBQ Guru" site. It works great and I finally got my guru to keep an even temp. The only problem is that it looks ugly.
icon_frown.gif
Cliff.

Ya it def dont look pretty...ill have pics up prob by tom or tonight...but hey it works.....i almost forgot how stable this puppy is.....the lil guru is puffin away a few breaths at a time and the temp is so stable...execpt when i took the lid off to spritz some applejuice...took about 10 min then went back to normail....

hey you can call weber and see what they can do for ya....it was pretty much no questions asked by me....they just said.. you got anotehr one coming.. take care.........they didnt even need the reciept in the end...
good luck

Just an update cuz i know you guys are all wating....so i got the mid section and the bottom in the mail...they mailed the middle section laying down....maybe thats why it keeps gettin bent....anyways.. the new one is slight bent as well but i dont think itll be a prob...the most anoying thing is that they didnt say any screws or legs or inside brackets.....thats ridiculous.. now i gotta get all dirty and take all the stuff apart....watta ya guys think....oh and now i have the lil eyelts in im goign to have to break....uch.. i think i should call weber back and tell them to send me some hardware and lets and brackets....
w
whatta ya guys think.. am i being a lil ridiculous or do you think its OK for me to ask for them to send me screws and what not....?

Mords,
I think they will gladly replace anything that is defective, but I betcha they don't replace parts cause they're dirty.

I just got a new bottom bowl from them because the vents were so loose that they would not stay where I put them. It took 5 minutes to replace the legs. The eyelets might be another story. Did you order new eyelets yet ???

Al

Have fun but don't lick your fingers!!!

ya i guess your right.. i was just hoping they would give me new ones and THEY could deal with taking them off...but i guess your right only take me bout 5 minutes i guess...the eylet issue is going to be a lil more tricky.. ill have to figure out how to tak that one off.. and i have another one from the pack.. i was planning on using it for the wsm in NY but i guess ill have to buy somemore..
thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back