Leaking lid question

RandyRegier

I am wondering how long it normally takes for new smokers to seal up around the various openings? My WSM 18 1/2" still leaks under the lid. Is this something to be concerned with? I have maybe 20 cooks on it. I do probably over clean when finished. Just wondering. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Two questions Randy,
1 Have you checked to see if the middle section if out of round. That would cause this.
1 When you say you over clean, please be more specific. I only clean my grates and the outside of my WSM. I have not cleaned it in the 3+ years I have had it.

I'm with Bob on the cleaning though I do wipe the lid a bit where it sits on the middle unit. I also was getting some leaking from around the lid and installed the Nomex gasket kit. That has helped considerably.

I wipe the lid out after every cook with some shop paper towels. I will check that middle section. Thanks

When you say you wipe the lid out, do you mean the inside of the lid? If that is the case, that could very easily account for the leaking. Like JR did, I also installed the Nomex Gasket Kit and have never looked back. But in your case, you should not be cleaning the inside of the cooker and that includes both sides of the lip. The only time I ever cleaned the lips was to install the gasket kit. Many on this site don't use the gasket kit, put once their cookers are properly seasoned and they do not clean the inside or the lips on the lid, they normally don't have leak issues.

In addition to checking if the middle section is round, check to see if the lid is round. Having said that, all WSMs leak a little when the fire is first starting up. As long as you can hold temps and the fire goes out when you close the vents, it should be OK.

I've only ever cleaned the outside of the wsm, and only clean the cooking grates over the lit coals b4 i cook something. I didn't use a gasket kit and mine doesn't leak very much at all.

I think the leaky lid actually helps keep temps up. When I installed the nomex gasket kit I initially had issues with low temps. I wouldn't mind if mine leaked a bit.....

all WSMs leak a little when the fire is first starting up. As long as you can hold temps and the fire goes out when you close the vents, it should be OK.

X2. All my Webys leak white smoke during start-up and occasionally later on when a stray pc starts to ignite. And IMO that's a good thing. Think about it. On average most use one or two fist sized chunks of wood.
During initial start-up they put off alot of white smoke and the only exhaust is three or four small vent holes. Small gaps around the lid help to exhaust excessive white smoke, while a perfectly sealed lid traps the white smoke longer and can add to bitter over-smoked BBQ.

Tim

Back