Leakage around the door and dome

B Garrett

After my fifth smoke on my new 22.5 WSM I was still having more leakage around the door and dome than I thought was acceptable. So I used a heat resistant Red Devil sealant from Amazon to reduce the leakage. I found the stuff hard to work with and It's not like chalking a bath tub. To make a long story short, I made it worse and now need to remove the sealant. So far, it is not coming off very cleanly. I have two questions: Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to get the sealant off without damaging the finish and effecting the seasoning to the smoker; and whats the alternative to stop the leakage? All suggestions/comments are appreciated. B. Garrett

You should be able to take it off with a sharp razor blade without damaging the finish. Have you checked the lid and body to ensure they are round. You can also bend the door carefully to fit better.

Not sure how to get the sealant off....maybe use some cleaner like simply green? I was getting some leakage around my door and I have read that you just spend time bending the door so that it fits better. What I did was put some heat resistant almost like weather stripping around the door, I purchased a felt kit for the green egg, which is used to seal the lid on the green egg. I used the felt and put it around my access door. Take a look at my recent post "Pulled pork....my first overnight cook" and I have posted a picture of my WSM and you will be able to see the felt around the door. I purchased the felt at a store that sells green eggs. GOOD LUCK!

WHAT THE HECK!!! Nice post Dwain....I should have just asked you and I wouldn't have wasted all of my time with the felt.

I used the kit that Dwain posted on my new WSM 22 before I even fired it up. I did lid and bottom, I thought the door fit pretty good so left that seal off. When I did the first cook lids sealed great no leakage, door did leak.
Before next cook I sealed the door all the way around..... not thinking that the bottom of the door goes inside.... duh!
So I had to remove the nomax and silicone adhesive. adhesive is hard to get off but with patience it will, truthfully I used my fingernails, once you have most removed a heavy bath towel material rubbed hard will polish the rest off.
They make a "Plastic" razor blade that will not bite into the finish I'm sure Lowes or another hardware supplier has them.
Good Luck!

WHAT THE HECK!!! Nice post Dwain....I should have just asked you and I wouldn't have wasted all of my time with the felt.

There are lots of articles here on Nomex Gasket material and Justin at BBQ Gaskets.com gives great service.

Agree with Dwain and the others about the Nomex. Did my WSM as soon as I got it. Only thing I have to do was tweek the door a bit. No leaks from the start. Highly recommend the Nomex.

Fully agree with this!

I added a gasket to my 18" WSM last weekend, just did my first smoke with it installed and couldn't believe how great a job it did at helping to seal things up. Felt as if I had an easier time keeping the temps under control while cooking, and it sure as heck seemed like I was able to "shut off" the heat much more quickly when I was done with the cook and closed up all the vents.

Back