Latest Frankengrill.

BobW

TVWBB Fan
These 1000 and parts are getting more and more scarce around me. I stop and grab any curb finds, CL give aways and sometimes will give a few bucks if there is potential or good parts that are hard to find. My personal scrap yard behind the shop has still got enough donors to put this latest together for a family member. The Durawood tables and handle are from a skyline. The drip rails and tank gauge salvaged from a silver b. Cast iron grates and stainless flavor bars from this redhead were reused. The cross member and 1 bottom frame rail from donor frames etc. you know the drill. This hobby is getting tougher to keep going47E7B5B4-5B53-445B-9DC7-434C71D65204.jpeg

Parts for these are certainly getting harder and harder to find. This good news is that very few people beyond this forum will know or care that you frankengrilled it and it’s looks great regardless. I’ve been a purist for the longest time but just last week had to marry up parts from three different 1000’s to make a complete one. That’s about as far as I can go for a hybrid at the moment. I’m not sure if I’ll ever embrace slapping a colored lid on a Platinum C frame like so many others seem happy to do, but I’ve quickly learned that I’m obviously in the minority on that one.

What you did looks good. The only thing that seems out of place is the tank scale, but if you didn't have a correct one to use then good job making it work.

What you did looks good. The only thing that seems out of place is the tank scale, but if you didn't have a correct one to use then good job making it work.
I’ve got several of the pointer types, but the family member I made it for liked the colored line next to the tanks symbols , so…..went with it

I have put together several Silver/Golf series grills got friends and family so far this year. Any 1000’s I find are stripped for parts and stored for my use.

Yah, I have a pretty good collection of parts for them too. Pretty soon though, there will be one or two parts for them that are just not available new and the chances of finding them on donor grills will be next to impossible. The big drip pans and the control panels that are in decent shape still are two key parts.

Back