Latest acquisition, vintage Genesis

Eric, how's that frame rail on the left side of the cook box looking? Asking because I picked up two similar 1990s-era Genesis models this summer, and both need that frame rail replaced because they are just swiss cheese. At least I have Bruce's instructions to guide me when I replace them!
Decent, I think it'll clean up and be quite useablePXL_20240713_021815390.jpg

You can, but those small screws are hard to drill out. Patience and good quality drill bits are your best friend. Hopefully it won't be an issue though.

If you have a torch, you can always try heating up the metal of the cook box around the screw before trying to remove it. Whatever you do, definitely use a socket on it and not a screwdriver.
I have propane, mapp, and acetylene. And plenty of nut drivers, sockets, etc. I'll update as I go for sure!

I think Mapp and/or acetylene might be a little too hot....be careful you don't melt the aluminum.
I use a Mapp gas torch myself. You don't need to leave it on there too long usually for it to work. Acetylene may be too much if you aren't really careful.

Those original covers are awesome! They don't make them like that anymore. I love it when I get an old Genesis and it comes with a cover like that.

All the dirt and grease may have served as a protective barrier. I'm hoping for the best on that one. Maybe not the wood so much, but the grill itself.
I agree, the filthiest grill I did had an immaculate frame. How would you approach the wood slats? Never had one with wood before, not sure the best way to do it

I agree, the filthiest grill I did had an immaculate frame. How would you approach the wood slats? Never had one with wood before, not sure the best way to do it
I guess I would take them off of the zbars and start sanding off the old finish and grease. They may look ok, start with one of the worst slats to get a better idea. Personally, I would make all new wood for it.

Back