Last weekend's shoulder w/pics

Jim S

TVWBB Fan
I am not going to toot my own horn, but hot damn this is some of the best I've ever done. The sad part of it is that I promised to bring a lot of it to work....
icon_frown.gif

Here are some pics of the cook. The first shots were at about 2 PM, the fire's ramping up, and the meat's just gone onto the smoker.
IMG_1712SMENH.jpg

IMG_1710SMENH.jpg

About an hour later, the cooker is well buttoned up and up to temp... about 225F. I put on the first hickory chunks to start the smoke flowing.
IMG_1713SMENH.jpg

IMG_1718SMENH.jpg

This shot was taken about 11PM... memory is a bit fuzzy after beer & a few shots. After I took this one, I foiled the meat and put it back into the cooker. Then I went to bed.
IMG_1721SMENH.jpg

Eight AM and I'm outside for the unveiling.... OMFG this thing looked pretty. The foil looked very dirty, so I put some clean underneath for photos.
IMG_1722SMENH.jpg

IMG_1723SMENH.jpg

I brought it into the house and broke it all apart. It fell apart easy, but there were small parts that were a bit tough up around the joint. Just a little bit of knifework, and its lunchtime!!! The bones, fat, and skin went into the freezer, this will become pea soup down the road. I made a sauce out of the drippings from the foil, water,extra rub, bourbon, maple syrup, ketchup, and a little touch of vinegar. I poured mebbe half a cup of this potion over the meat and mixed it up.
IMG_1724SMENH.jpg

IMG_1726SMENH.jpg

The bark is nice and thin, it seemed to get softened up while it was foiled overnight.

Looks good! I've yet to do a full shoulder yet. I'm with you on the bark though, foiling makes it soggy. I don't think I'll be foiling the next butt I do because of it.

Jim I wasn't to sure about the way your shoulder looked while it was cooking only cause mine never looked like that but I must say that last pic you took would have to be one of the best looking pulled pork pics I've ever seen. If that taste 1/2 of what it looks like you nailed it. Great job!

That is a nice looking, moist pulled pork you got there. I always like smoking pork shoudler over pork butts. I have always good luck using shoulder. Thanks for the very tasty pictures.

Nice! Of course, I did two shoulder yesterday and have no pix to prove it. I was so busy smoking, playing mr. mom and had a friend over that taking pix was not going to happen. I`ll try next time.

Your job looks awesome and probably tastes even better. Keep it up.

question... that picture of the 'whole? shoulder'... cut it in half and you have a boston butt, and a pernil?

anyway, is it typical to smoke it with the skin on or removing it first?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by danmarks:
question... that picture of the 'whole? shoulder'... cut it in half and you have a boston butt, and a pernil?

anyway, is it typical to smoke it with the skin on or removing it first? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This cut would be called a pernil. If the butt were attatched, I would think that part or all of the shoulder joint would be intact. Mebbe one of the butchers on here can share some info on that.

I have a personal preference that I leave the skin on. I've found that the fat underneath renders out more evenly that way. Also, the skin will tend to hold in drippings better if it's not punctured. About the only place I cut it is on the inside part right up to the joint. I found that the skin contracts a lot around the joint, and doing the cut there makes it much easier to pull apart later on. The meat doesn't dry out nearly as much either. I cooked this one skin side up for the first couple hours to get some self basting action going, then flipped it so a nice bark would set up on the more exposed inside.

JimS, leaving the skin on does make you miss out on making more bark but sure does allow you to have smoked skin for cooking w/ other things as you mentioned...

nice shoulder as have been curious about doing a whole shoulder as normally just do butts. You are right- good friends,beer, and guitar though I'm more of a drum player or former rather but still get the urge to kick around and enjoy many different styles! I've always liked the beer,bbq,and blues theme. Went to a party awhile back that had a guitarist and banjo picker that were really entertaining- fellows were good- sounded like the dueling banjos! When a wsm is involved- a party is sure to follow if wanted!

Back