Last grill for the year...maybe a couple of years!

Jon Tofte

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
LOOK WHAT I GOT NOW!

I bet some of you guys saw my posts about the Sunshine Legend or the MasterForge "Behemoth" and thought, "Here crazy Jon goes again down some more rabbit trails. But, NO! I am doing my best to stay on the Weber straight and narrow, with the one exception that I need Broilmaster carts/bases.

I had followed this one on FB marketplace for some time. Pretty far from me, but when he came down to just $15 and I could tie it in with visiting a college friend in physical rehab, I couldn't resist. Here it is in my van (where it remains tonight):

xTyisLv.jpg

That's a late 80's maybe 90 BROWN HEAD Genesis 2! Don't see those very often anywhere in Florida, so I am glad I could get it home:cool:.

GqYz5Uf.jpg

I find your addiction entertaining and hilarious!

Enjoy the grill Jon, I'm sure you'll make a beauty of it!

Nice brownie Jon.
I always find it interesting to see how others do things.
Do you normally transport with the lid on?
I highly recommend picking up some furniture moving pads.
How do you keep the plastic from ripping when you take the
grill in and out?

I am blessed to have a pickup. I load them up in the middle of the bed going in sideways. Then I simply run a ratchet strap over the center of the lid and tighten it down. My only issue is remembering to remove or fasten down the extra burners and lids and the side tables. I have lost a few that way driving down the highway. I can get three at a time in my truck and a bunch more if I take the utility trailer. I do take the trailer even for single pick ups and deliveries some times if I don't think I will have help loading or unloading. The trailer has a fold down back/ramp which makes it really easy.

C
Nice brownie Jon.
I always find it interesting to see how others do things.
Do you normally transport with the lid on?
I highly recommend picking up some furniture moving pads.
How do you keep the plastic from ripping when you take the
grill in and out?

Dave,
Actually, I went prepared to take the hood off, but I have found that classic Genesis grills will just slide in my van as you see it. (There is a moving blanket stuffed between the top of the hood and the side of my van.) It probably would be less risky to go ahead and remove the hood though. I also think you are right that I should have spread out a moving blanket under the plastic.

For my local pickups, I usually use one of our organization’s vans - an old beat up Chrysler minivan with all the seats down and covered with a flexible wood sheet. I call it our “pickup with a roof.” It works great for getting stuff at Lowe’s and for me for picking up grills, and I don’t have to worry about grease and dirt stains. But for my rare long trips I use my own van.

I am blessed to have a pickup. I load them up in the middle of the bed going in sideways. Then I simply run a ratchet strap over the center of the lid and tighten it down. My only issue is remembering to remove or fasten down the extra burners and lids and the side tables. I have lost a few that way driving down the highway. I can get three at a time in my truck and a bunch more if I take the utility trailer. I do take the trailer even for single pick ups and deliveries some times if I don't think I will have help loading or unloading. The trailer has a fold down back/ramp which makes it really easy.

Bruce maybe if you kept it under 100 MPH stuff would stay in there :D

Well congrats Jon, will be looking forward to your rehab of that brownie. Maybe that will get me inspired to get the rehab going on my brownie that's sitting under it's cover for over a year now. But with the temps in the low teens and the highs being high twenty's to low thirty's I won't be inhabiting the garage any time soon.:p

Larry, you guys down in IL are the ones that come up here and light up the Interstate. I travel at about 73-74, just 4mph over the speed limit and I get those IL plates flying around me on their way up north and back all summer long. I think they figure there is a 10-15 mph cushion on all speed limits in Wisconsin. It seems they don't get pulled over very often though.

Yeah here in IL even if you blow by a trooper at 80+ they don't even put their coffee down. As long as you're not careening in and out of traffic they don't seem to care. I have seen cars I KNOW were doing 90+ go past radar cars without even a second look here on I90. It's insanity here. I like going fast BUT I don't like the gas mileage so I keep it under 80 but over 70 and I get passed like I am standing still. Yet we have a main 2 lane by our house that used to be a 55 than went to a 65 rd and is now for some reason a 45. Well daughter was driving it clicking just over 60. No one around but the local gave her a speeding ticket! Yet in town limit is 20 to 25 depending on the street and people blow through like their hair is on fire. Not cool because there is on street diagonal parking in town, cobblestone and if someone is trying to leave a spot they cannot see people coming. (which is why the 20 mph limit). I don't know why they don't watch more closely there where there are also pedestrians as well. SMDH

I guess not the last...

I said it would be my last. Then my nephew shows up with an older Spirit 2-burner on the back of a pickup truck. My sister bequeathed it to me as a result of refurbishing the Q300 I gave her for Christmas.

It was free, so what could I do?

It is the Spirit that came out right after the Genesis went to the 300 series and they shipped the tooling for the Genesis Silver A & B to China and rebadged them as Spirit grills. Pretty similar to but cheaper made than the Silver A I restored this summer. I will post pictures soon. Rusty frame makes it a little challenging to cost effectively restore. This HAS to be the last. No more room at the inn!

older Spirit 2-burner

I picked up the 3-burner version of this yesterday. It may well be
my last of the year, but I hope not. I have 3 days left, and will be
searching vigorously. Like Bruce said "There is another one just
around the corner." Hoping we can all find a grail or two.

Back