Las Vegas BBQ

Tom Chips

TVWBB All-Star
So I went to Vegas for the first time since I was 12. I found out from Kevin about RUB BBQ in the Rio hotel. I took some shots to share here.

IMG_0147.jpg

They run the brisket thru a slicer, shaving it very thin. It had a mild smokiness, and decent flavor, but even at this thin, it was still too tough.

IMG_0146.jpg

The smokers were right next to our table.

The food was a bit below average, not stellar. Not very consistent. My buddy ordered a brisket sandwich that came with very dried out overcooked slices with a dark purple smoke ring. My brisket tasted fine, but wasn't tender. The sauces and sides were good.

There was a real cool custom bike that was in the lobby as well.
IMG_0143.jpg

Well, I am showing at the concrete show the first week in February. I'll probably check it out. Thanks for the review! Dave

My Pet Peeve in ordering a brisket at a BBQ place, is them leaving that thick layer of fat, still attached to the meat. I hate when I have to pick through it, and pull off that fat. at least when I BBQ my brisket, I get rid of that fat from my cuts. That custom bike looked cool though.

When the fat is a thick section, it bothers me a bit, but overall, when it's not a huge chunk, I don't care.

They were out of burnt ends. And they don't sell the ribs as a choice when you buy a dinner with two meats.
That plate of food, and a coke was about $23. The big basket of onion strings is one of the sides, and didn't fit on the plate.

especially when you consider that alot of BBQ places offer their portions "by the pound!" All the old style Tejas joints like Smitty's , City Market, Coopers, Kreuz, sell this way. The amount of fat I have seen on beef clod is disgusting. Some folks eat that though!

Thanks for sharing Tom and sorry it wasn't a great meal. When I do visit a BBQ joint I tend to stay away from the brisket because I'm usually never happy with it. There's a place in Venice called Baby Blues that I'll try and hit soon so i can take some picks and provide a report. Here's a link http://www.babybluesbarbq.com/

I don't know if I've ever been to the Rio. At least I don't remember going there. Where's the Vegas gambling/hotel/falling down tanked report Tom? I didn't miss it did I?
icon_smile.gif

Todd

I've heard good things about RUB in NYC, in fact my bbq partner just went there (without me...the rat) and had a good experience.

Todd, I'm pretty mellow. I had a good time, didn't get too carried away. I learned how to play roulette for the first time, and turned $200 into $1300 in about 45 minutes. But I felt bad and gave back $600 before I left.

The way I figure it, they paid for the flight, hotel room, and Penn & Teller show. The night club scene there is beyond anything I could have imagined. Wow....

Tom,my wife and I took our son to Las Vegas last May. We ate around at several different restaurants and decided that unless you are going to shell out the BIG BUCKS,the food and service weren't great because they now you're probably not there for the food. Also,they know most people won't be back. Gamble,lose,go eat,go gamble some more. Ya know what I mean?

The buffet at the Wynn was by far the best I have ever been to, or seen. I wasn't even very hungry when I went ( only two plates and I was full, not finishing stuff on either plate) but I did enjoy it all.

The prime rib was probably the best I have ever had. The cool thing was the guy carving it slices off a piece that was more than 3/4" thick, and before he finishes laying it onto the plate he is asking me if I wanted more. Most places I've been to, it's like pulling teeth to get them to give up more than a sliver at a time. So I appreciated that.

Here's another shot of the bike that looked so cool.

IMG_0148.jpg

I second the Wynn buffet, as far as buffet's go, it's the best I've ever had out there too. I've stayed at Ceasar's, Manalay Bay (both of those on the company's buck) and a few of the other less expensive ones on our own buck, and we go back once per trip to the Wynn buffet, usually for lunch. I don't like to drink and gamble there though, too costly.

If you ever go out again on the cheap and have some extra cash, drop it on one of the helicopter tours to the canyon. I found it very difficult at the time to pay the price, but afterward it was one of the coolest experiences ever and worth every penny.

Todd

Go to Memphis Championship BBQ when you are in Vegas!! It is owned by Mike Mills (Peace Love & BBQ Book) there are 4 locations. they blow away any BBQ restaurant iun Vegas. the rule of thumb is if its on the strip... it will be way over priced and not good! Memphis Championship BBQ is located at 1401 S. Rainbow Blvd. (702) 254-0520. This restaurant survives on local patrons Not tourists!! so it has to be good!

Here is the link www.memphis-bbq.com

Enjoy!

Larry B

Originally posted by Larry B:
Go to Memphis Championship BBQ when you are in Vegas!! It is owned by Mike Mills (Peace Love & BBQ Book) there are 4 locations. they blow away any BBQ restaurant iun Vegas. the rule of thumb is if its on the strip... it will be way over priced and not good! Memphis Championship BBQ is located at 1401 S. Rainbow Blvd. (702) 254-0520. This restaurant survives on local patrons Not tourists!! so it has to be good!

Here is the link www.memphis-bbq.com

Enjoy!

Larry B

Larry,

I assume your recommendation is based on personal experience? How are the prices? Any idea what an average cab fare would be to get there? Or do the busses run near there?

Sorry to bombard you with questions, but the wife and I are heading out there in May, and I've been looking for some place "different" to eat.

Thanks,

JimT

On another note;

The wife and I have been pretty happy with Tony Roma's in the Fremont Hotel (downtown.) Don't know how truly "authentic" they are, but we like the food!

JimT

Tony Roma's would not be considered "barbecue" by most, which is not to say that their ribs don't taste good.

It's hard to judge any barbecue restaurant by a single visit. There's no doubt Paul Kirk (RUB) and Mike Mills (Memphis Championship Barbecue) both know their barbecue, but their restaurants can have good days and bad days. I ate Mike Mills' ribs in 2007 at the Best in the West Rib Cookoff in Reno and they were amazing, then ate them again in 2008 and they were horrible! So it can vary from day to day...maybe even slab to slab.

Chris

I wish I had clued in to the other location. I was thinking there was several locations to RUB. Oh, well, I will just have to go back again soon.

I'd definitely try RUB again. I never got to try their ribs. The pulled pork was real good though. And the sides were generous, and tasted good. With the exception being that the garlic mashed potatoes were very pasty and almost sticky.

My friends who ate with me were very happy with their meal.

Back