Larry: The Gas Whisperer

Bruce

TVWBB 2-Star Olympian
Larry pulled through again.
I just bought a used Flame 27000 and after a quick cleaning up of the debris in the rocks and fake wood, I fired it up for the first time yesterday. It ran great. I was impressed. Then, later on, I went out to show the wife and I couldn't get it to fire. Plenty of spark but no ignition. I also noticed that I didn't hear the gas rushing when I opened the valve like the first time. So, I did all the disconnecting, resting, reconnecting, slow opening of the tank valve and all that. Still no love. I tried a second tank. Nothing. I tried the tank on my grill. It fired right up and ran great. OK, I give up for the night and email Larry. I suggested maybe something in the regulator was locked up. He said, "nah, I would suspect the valve". Well, I figured heck, I will just throw on one of my spare hoses and regulators. I thought for sure that was the issue. NOPE. so, tonight I broke down and pulled the valve. I took it apart and it looked in great shape inside. Still turned good and the grease even looked fresh. After I got the valve body taken out, I looked down the barrel thinking I would see daylight out the orifice (which is huge on these things compared to a Genesis grill). Nothing, so I looked at the outside and didn't see anything. As I was fiddling with it, something falls out and I thought, damn, now I just lost part of the valve. Well, luckily it fell onto the table I was working on. It was a cotton pickin' larva, just a tiny bit larger than the orifice. Now, I had daylight through the valve. Put it all back together and fired right up and runs great.
So, Larry was right again. Seems he has this Gas thing down six ways to Sunday. So, I now annoint him the "Gas Whisperer"
t0sG1c6.jpg

Here are some photos of the valve just for the heck of it.....along with the offending larva.

20200822 Weber flame Valve cleaning (4).jpg20200822 Weber flame Valve cleaning (3).jpg

Attachments

• 20200822 Weber flame Valve cleaning (2).jpg
    20200822 Weber flame Valve cleaning (2).jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 20200822 Weber flame Valve cleaning (5).jpg
    20200822 Weber flame Valve cleaning (5).jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 24
  • 20200822 Weber flame Valve cleaning (8).jpg
    20200822 Weber flame Valve cleaning (8).jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 26
  • 20200822 Weber flame Valve cleaning (9).jpg
    20200822 Weber flame Valve cleaning (9).jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 26
Last edited by a moderator:
Bruce:
Congratulations on finding one of these. We hope you get many hours of enjoyment out of it. Our NG model is ready to go, but in reserve status waiting for a cool down at night (90's currently) or Covid to ease so the grandkids can visit. I did do a test fire once I had all the whip hoses and fitting in place. Throws off some pretty serious heat. I did get a cover off of Amazon which covers most of the height of it.

So.. you're looking at a cover...thinking of keeping it are you?

Jefg
Yah, when the wife saw it, she said it looked cool. But when I tried to light it and show her, is when I had all the problems with it.
Funny thing is, a year or two ago, when I was actively looking for one of these, I asked her about it and she said "no way that is going on our deck".
Time changes everything I guess....or maybe it is just actually seeing it in real life. LOL

I originally bought this just to check it out and do a quick clean up and flip on it thinking the wife wouldn't want me to keep it.

Bruce:
Jeff gave you the link. I think he was the one that tipped me off to it too. My wife thought the Flame was ugly when I showed her what I was searching for. She wanted a firepit, but wood wasn't going to work here and I envisioned going through 20lb cylinders which would need exchange. Since I already had NG........ Then the NG model popped up about 120 miles away on CL. A good road trip to new territory early in the pandemic. Added a tee to my line and an extra length extension so it is pretty portable in the yard.

Yah, I can imagine this thing will burn through a 20 lb tank fairly quickly. But, that is OK. I have about ten tanks. hahaha.

I just have to get them filled.

Does anyone know how long a tank should last?

Wife has announced that when we redo the French doors on the back of the house she wants a deck! I guess I need to start looking for one of these in earnest!

Larry pulled through again.
I just bought a used Flame 27000 and after a quick cleaning up of the debris in the rocks and fake wood, I fired it up for the first time yesterday. It ran great. I was impressed. Then, later on, I went out to show the wife and I couldn't get it to fire. Plenty of spark but no ignition. I also noticed that I didn't hear the gas rushing when I opened the valve like the first time. So, I did all the disconnecting, resting, reconnecting, slow opening of the tank valve and all that. Still no love. I tried a second tank. Nothing. I tried the tank on my grill. It fired right up and ran great. OK, I give up for the night and email Larry. I suggested maybe something in the regulator was locked up. He said, "nah, I would suspect the valve". Well, I figured heck, I will just throw on one of my spare hoses and regulators. I thought for sure that was the issue. NOPE. so, tonight I broke down and pulled the valve. I took it apart and it looked in great shape inside. Still turned good and the grease even looked fresh. After I got the valve body taken out, I looked down the barrel thinking I would see daylight out the orifice (which is huge on these things compared to a Genesis grill). Nothing, so I looked at the outside and didn't see anything. As I was fiddling with it, something falls out and I thought, damn, now I just lost part of the valve. Well, luckily it fell onto the table I was working on. It was a cotton pickin' larva, just a tiny bit larger than the orifice. Now, I had daylight through the valve. Put it all back together and fired right up and runs great.
So, Larry was right again. Seems he has this Gas thing down six ways to Sunday. So, I now annoint him the "Gas Whisperer"
t0sG1c6.jpg

Here are some photos of the valve just for the heck of it.....along with the offending larva.

View attachment 12490View attachment 12489

Not so sure I would want the title of Gas Whisperer. Maybe the slogan could be "Have gas will pass"... or maybe not. :unsure:

Or "Master Blaster" :D When my girls were little and oh so cute wife would say "What do we call daddy?" In unison much to my embarrassment these 2 little angels would cite in unison "Master Blaster". Bruce glad to help. As my payment if you could simply box that beauty up and send it to my address we'll call it even :D Seriously, always happy to help and hopefully I can find one of those20170713_145709.jpg

Back