Larger water pan

Colin B.

TVWBB Member
Do any Canadians know were to purchase a larger water pan for the WSM? Is it a Brickman that everyone talks about?

Colin,

I just purchased the brinkman CHARCOAL (used as the water pan in the WSN) pan from bass pro shops. It fits in the WSM perfectly. I seriously doubt they would not ship to canada. Brinkman Charcoal Pan

Patrick, thanks for pointing out my mistake. I fixed the link.

Just a heads up, the hyperlink added at the end of that last message leads to the brinkman water pan. The brinkman charcoal pan is what will fit in the WSM.

Thanks Phil. I've ordered one. I can't believe how cheap it was. Shipping was four times the price of the pan though, ha ha.

You would actually be suprised at what they "won't" ship over the border.

I ordered two from Bass Pro Shops because I couldn't believe how cheap they were either--until I got them.
icon_mad.gif

I have an old Brinkmann charcoal pan and it is much thicker and well made than what Bass Pro Shops sells. They are flimsy to the point that if filled with sand or water, they feel like the rim could flex and possibly come off the supports. (I can flex the rims very easily with my hands.)

Two came in damaged and they replaced them for nothing and I kept the others. Second two came in damaged as well so I said to heck with it.

Anyone gotten one from Brinkmann recently??
If so, how well made are they?

Tom

Tom, I just received two pans earlier in the week and I have to agree with you. I had an ECB (with the hole in the charcoal bowl) and it as much sturdier. However, I think the current pan will work fine as a water pan. I bought two just in case. I could always double them up.

I ordered one direct from Brinkman 3 or 4 months ago. It cost $14 or $15, I can't remember. Probably too many beers in between. Anyway, they ended up charging zero for shipping -- a rare thing when you live in Alaska. I just checked, the construction is as solid, if not more so, than the original Weber water pan.

I have a new one in Calgary. You can order one from Pro bass but by the time it goes through customs it can cost up to $40 Canadian. Do you know someone who could pick it up in Calgary for you.? I could probably let it go for a good price. I might be heading to Vancouver this summer but don"t know for sure. By the way I was voted citizen of the week one year in Prince George and had dinner at the Keg with your mayor. It was too funny.

I also was surprised by how flimsy the Brinkman pan is. And the enamel not too good. However, it does the trick!

Seems to keep the temperature down more - in fact, I find it a struggle to get the temp at dome to 250 with the brinkman in place. Does anyone else find that?

Andrew

I think that I failed to properly make my point in my previous post on this subject.

I don't believe that what Bass Pro Shops sells is a product that is manufactured by/for Brinkmann, but rather a cheap imitation that is the same size as the Brinkmann brand.

The pan from Brinkmann might be worth the extra money. When the porcelain chips or cracks on a thin piece of metal and you add water, it doesn't take long for rust to create a hole. JMHO.

Tom

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom Barineaue:
I don't believe that what Bass Pro Shops sells is a product that is manufactured by/for Brinkmann, but rather a cheap imitation that is the same size as the Brinkmann brand. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Actually, the Brinkman charcoal pan, which we use for the larger waterpan, is pretty cheaply made, itself. It's hard for me to imagine one much cheaper
icon_smile.gif
. I'm fortunate to live near a Sports Academy where they are less than $5 each; thus, almost disposable.

Paul

Help me out here. Why do folks feel the the need to get a bigger water pan? I understand that the brinkman is bigger and will hold more water. But .... is it really that much hassle to refill the standard Weber pan? It takes me a total of about 2 minutes to fill a half gallon milk jug with hot water, stick a funnel in the access door and refill the pan. Usually one jug every 3-4 hrs will do. Not really a big deal. JMO

Rick

Rick, like you said "every 3-4 hrs will do." The main reason is for overnight cooks so that you can get some sleep and not worry about the pan drying out and the temperature spiking.

I agree with you that if you're at home (and awake) during the cook refilling is no biggy.

Hi Ron. I agree with you that on the overnight cooks a bigger pan would come in handy. But truthfully, does anyone ever really sleep all night when somethings cooking? Even when I use my Guru, I rarely get more than a couple of good naps.
icon_smile.gif

Rick

Using the std. pan, I have found that most times the cook will go just fine with all the water evaporating over night. I do sleep thru the night.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rick Kramer:
But truthfully, does anyone ever really sleep all night when somethings cooking? Even when I use my Guru, I rarely get more than a couple of good naps.
icon_smile.gif

Rick </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, I sleep like a baby through the night with the Guru running. As long as I give it enough charcoal and properly restrict the top vent, it will hold the temperature typically +/- 5F or closer.

Like I said in a recent post, I have been pleasantly suprised by how long I can go between fill ups. I wrap my water pan in a double layer of foil, top and bottom, and only have to refill once even during an overnight cook. I wonder if the foil is relecting some of the radiant heat of the fire and keeping the water from absorbing as much heat as it would through the black porcelain. I was going to get a Brinkmann pan, but going 15 - 18 hrs (lid temp 250) with only one refill, I couldn't justify it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">ter pan in a double layer of foil, top and bottom, and only have to refill once even during an overnight cook. I wonder if the foil is relecting some of the radiant heat of the fire and keeping the water from absorbing as much heat as it would through the black porcelai </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

so is the bass shop pan worth it???

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Vernon N:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rick Kramer:
But truthfully, does anyone ever really sleep all night when somethings cooking? Even when I use my Guru, I rarely get more than a couple of good naps.
icon_smile.gif

Rick </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, I sleep like a baby through the night with the Guru running. As long as I give it enough charcoal and properly restrict the top vent, it will hold the temperature typically +/- 5F or closer. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I sleep all night also. Sometimes go to work for 12 hours with no worries with the Guru also.
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rob Lyons:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">ter pan in a double layer of foil, top and bottom, and only have to refill once even during an overnight cook. I wonder if the foil is relecting some of the radiant heat of the fire and keeping the water from absorbing as much heat as it would through the black porcelai </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

so is the bass shop pan worth it??? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In my opinion, yes it is. For the price, even if you don't think it is, you haven't invested but a few $$ for a test. I have 2 of them. Only use water when using the lower grate.

Back