Large Yellow Flames on LP Grill - Can't figure out the issue.

I got the new valves installed today (pretty easy job) and the flames are looking much better now! I had adjusted the burner tubes back to about 1/3 open (where they were originally), but there was still some orange at the tops of the flames, so I opened them back up while burning to watch the effect in real time and ended up with the fully open again. Here's now it looks now on low and high.

1000007297.jpg1000007298.jpg

There is supposed to be just a tinge of orange in the flame at the tip, or at low pressures the flames will gurgle at times and flame out

I've tried adjusting the air shutters many times to get rid of yellow/orange flames..... it seems like they always work best wide open.

I've had the urge to get a set of orfices for my Spirit 2 burner LP that are smaller than stock just to be able to dial the heat down lower on LOW since I'm doing more LnS with a smoke tube on there than anything and I don't really need the top end temps..... I haven't actually done anything about it yet - but I've had the concern that if they get too small, there could be flame outs.

After reading some of the links --- I'm wondering just how much smaller the orfice would need to be to make much of a difference ---- it appears that the LOW temp/flame level is set more by the spool in the valve than the orfice. Anyone INTENTIONALLY try to dial the temps down in this way?

I've tried adjusting the air shutters many times to get rid of yellow/orange flames..... it seems like they always work best wide open.

I've had the urge to get a set of orfices for my Spirit 2 burner LP that are smaller than stock just to be able to dial the heat down lower on LOW since I'm doing more LnS with a smoke tube on there than anything and I don't really need the top end temps..... I haven't actually done anything about it yet - but I've had the concern that if they get too small, there could be flame outs.

After reading some of the links --- I'm wondering just how much smaller the orfice would need to be to make much of a difference ---- it appears that the LOW temp/flame level is set more by the spool in the valve than the orfice. Anyone INTENTIONALLY try to dial the temps down in this way?
Be careful on that. Many times because of poor design the grill may not be able to maintain flame modded like that which is WAY more dangerous. Check the regulator. Your regulator may simply be faulty, or simply get a better and more versatile grill

Back