Large Countertop Microwave Oven Recommendations for 4Q22

After many years of not liking the texture of food cooked in the microwave (hot spots, cold spots, dry spots and general bland flavor) I decided to make a change when I built my new home. I switched to a Milele steam/combi oven. I can reheat leftovers and they come out as moist as the first time around. The oven also broils, bakes and does convection in every mode. The steam oven reheats leftovers in a little longer time than the microwave did, but the longer wait seems so worthwhile after you take that first moist and warm bite. So, I have a gas oven in the range, one dedicated electric oven and the steam/combi oven. I could not be happier with my set up. Don't miss the microwave for a nano second.
While probably not a replacement for a microwave oven, there are some advantages to having such an oven in a double oven setup. There are however many things that we reheat in microwaves that aren't adversely affected by a lack of moisture. Personally, I could not exist at this point without one and they have also become cheap enough that when mine inevitably fails it can be quickly replaced. I have a double oven setup and an island jenn-aire cook top stove so my microwave is a cheap and easy to replace counter top unit

I rarely ever (actually almost never) use a microwave to "cook" food. I do however, use them to either warm or "enhance" my cooking process and or times. As in the case of my baked potatoes. I have run a side by side comparison blind taste/texture test. I took same potatoes cooked from raw in my grill. And the same with my "enhanced" method. Totally indistinguishable. Except for the time it took. I use it as well with frozen vegetables i.e. broccoli. I buy the IQF broccoli at Sam's or Costco. I typically saute'/steam in EVOO, plenty of garlic and a couple dried Chile de Arbol peppers and a little salt. This steaming process can take a bit of time. So many times (especially if I have forgotten to make them in time) I start them off in the MWave. And finish in the other process. Again, an excellent time saver with no loss of taste/texture. But allows me to do them in half the time. There are other things I do like this but actually "cooking" anything. Never. And of course a quick warm up of a cup of coffee or tea as well. One might ask than. Why pay more for a premium product like the Panasonic? Because it flat "works" and works the way I expect it to.

I bought a refurbished Panasonic 3-4 years ago to try out inverter Tec. We don't cook meals though a pot pie once in awhile , it flat out cooks, reheats great popcorn wont Hardley burn and I like a little blacking lol, I would buy a new 1 if I need another 1, I went and looked made in 18 . model NN-SD664W 1200 watts

A couple of posts back, baked potatoes were mentioned as being well suited for microwave cooking. I agree, so long as you can rotate them, manually or by the spinning dish, to make the cooking even. Popcorn in a microwave is good too although I am still partial to the taste and texture of popcorn cooked on the stove top with some butter on top. Like the way my mom did it on her electric cooktop when I was a kid. MMMMMmmmmmm good.

A couple of posts back, baked potatoes were mentioned as being well suited for microwave cooking. I agree, so long as you can rotate them, manually or by the spinning dish, to make the cooking even. Popcorn in a microwave is good too although I am still partial to the taste and texture of popcorn cooked on the stove top with some butter on top. Like the way my mom did it on her electric cooktop when I was a kid. MMMMMmmmmmm good.
Yeah, I do taters in the wave but ONLY to get them "started" and ready to finish in the grill. I love our Panasonic MW. Has an actual sensor setting that actually PROPERLY cooks potatoes through. Then, they get tossed with EVOO, S&P, thyme, and roasted on the grill for crispy skin. Fluffy, moist and tender inside and nice potato "cracklin'" skin. All seasoned and just waiting for some good grass fed butter

Back