LampGast pototoes

Rob Ruth

TVWBB Member
Hi guys. I'm in a time crunch here and decided I wanted to try these potatoes. I'm sure the process to cook these has been explained, but my quick search is taking too long. I'm hoping that someone who reads this know whether to par boil the potatoes or not? What exactly does scoring do for the potatoes? Sorry to ask questions that I know have been explained, but I've got to light the fire on this last minute idea and don't want to ruin them if possible.

Thanks!!!
Rob

Hi Rob, I am not the LampeGast authority, but you do not need to par boil them. Just cut them in half (Lampe)and score with a knife (Gast). I like to rub them with olive oil first. I also don't know how much difference the scoring makes, but it sure looks great. I like to add seasoning to them and the scoring helps hold it in. That's my find. Good luck.
icon_smile.gif

0hLord, someone here has created a ogre...
Rob, these are simply Yukon potatoes. Cut 'um in half, quarter 'um or do um whole... does not matter... Daniel decided to score the potato after he cut um in half... not sure if it helps with the cookin' process butt it looks fine.

Bottom line: It's a Yukon potato that's grilled direct/indirect and they cook fast. Yes, EVOO em before grillin'.
No secret to success.
icon_smile.gif

Ogre? they are green, aren't thay?

Sorry to disturb the Yukon trail, EVOO- greased as it is, but does someone familiar with the Yukon happen to know any type of european potato that I can use as a substitute?

The only one I can think about, is the so called "almond potato", but they are very small. And the season is "just before christmas", and that's it.

We use them with lutefisk. That is dried cod, marinated in lye (Not a lie (sic) and drenced in water for a week afterward before it is cooked.)

Served with european pork, mustard, Norwegian brown cheese, (which is not a cheese at all, but I digress), pea stew, both yellow and green, and sometimes "lefse". To drink, dark beer, and aquavite.

Yes, Geir, orges are green.
icon_biggrin.gif

Almond potatoes, i believe, are most like the American IDAHO potato, or the baking potato.
Butt then, I ain't no potato expert.

Yukons are a buttery favoured tater... waxy skin that bakes or grills well.

I am doing "Lampegast Sweets" right now. Jim I hope I can still use the LampeGast name.
icon_frown.gif

Rob the scoring doesent really add anything but looks.

Geair when i do big potatoes during the summer i always just use the normal "baking" potato.

And i love lutfisk myself....once a year
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim Lampe:
Yes, Geir, orges are green.
icon_biggrin.gif

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The ripe ones are actually more yellowish.

Either way, cook indirect and go by tender not temperature. Like everything else, they're done when they're done.

Ron

Back