Lamb Rub?

Dave,
This is one that I have not tried but have been meaning to:
Roast Leg of Lamb with Fennel and Orange Rub
Finely minced zest of 2 oranges
2 Tbsp toasted fennel seed, ground
1 Tbsp kosher salt
1 1/2 tsp cracked black pepper (I just grind it along with the fennel)
1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
2 Tbsp minced fresh rosemary (about 6-8 sprigs' worth)
2 tsp minced fresh garlic (more is always good!)
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
I might add a bit of oregano as well.

Love the lamb! Let us know what you did and how it turned out.

I like the look of that one, Marc.

Also: Garlic, onion, Aleppo, thyme, marjoram, white pepper.

One thing I often do with lamb leg is marinate/brine - and nearly any rub possibility can be turned into one. I am partial to buttermilk for the base so will salt it adequately (about 3.75 T Morton kosher/qt) then add into it the flavors I want - fresh or granulated garlic and onion (I often use both fresh and granulated), Aleppo, fresh and/or dried herbs, lemon zest, white pepper, etc. (this is just an example; other flavorings can be used), and purée till smooth. I pierce the meat all over - or make slits with the tip if a sharp, thin knife - and Ziploc or FoodSaver the lamb with the marinade for overnight, or as long as possible. Removed from the marinade, drained and patted somewhat dry, the meat gets a little sprinkling of dried flavors (the Aleppo, granulated aromatics, pepper), and is then smoke-roasted, grill-roasted, or rotissed.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Marc:
Dave,
This is one that I have not tried but have been meaning to:
Roast Leg of Lamb with Fennel and Orange Rub
Finely minced zest of 2 oranges
2 Tbsp toasted fennel seed, ground
I might add a bit of oregano as well.

Love the lamb! Let us know what you did and how it turned out. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The oregano, it must be TURKISH OREGANO and not mexican oregano. T.O. hasn't the heat but offers a pungent lemon like flavor more pronounces than M.O.. You can order some from Penzeys Spices. Oh, and it's T.O. that figures into italian salad dressing.

Thanks for the replies. I didn't put a rub on it, I ended up marinating it. This is what I used. I think I got this recipe from this forum but am not sure. Anyway, I thought it came out good.

• GREEK LAMB MARINADE

• 3 tablespoons lemon juice
• 1/4 cup olive oil
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 1/2 teaspoon thyme
• 1/2 teaspoon oregano
• salt and pepper to taste
• 1/2 teaspoon bay leaf
• 1/4 teaspoon rosemary (My addition)
PREPARATION:
Combine all ingredients and mix well. Use this marinade on all cuts of lamb. Plan on marinating chops and small cuts for about 4 to 5 hours. Large cuts like leg of lamb should be marinated for 8 hours to overnight.

Back