Krispy turkey skin

Fletch, I have amassed more Coleman, Gott, Thermos, Igloo coolers than Weber “Heat application devices” and all kinds of food grade buckets. (I have a fabulous Dutch bakery 17,236 steps away) I’ve taken to filling their “smaller” rectangular bucket about halfway with water and making blocks of ice. If I use my (stupid big) cooler I can put the bird in a bucket flanked by two more ice buckets leaving it on the porch or back of the Jeep for the necessary time with no health code concerns, you will be fine with a brine bucket and an ice bag on either side.

My one time deep frying a turkey was a disaster. Never again. If you are doing it for the first time, I suggest you do a test run prior to the holidays when 8 or 9 people are depending on you.

I used a propane one. My problem was that as soon as I dropped the bird in the fryer, it dropped the temp way down and it took forever for the oil temp to get back to anywhere near where it needed to be. We at Turkey Jerky that year.

I dont know if the turkey was too cold when I put it in or if it was just too big of a turkey or what. But, I don't really care. I know I will get a beautiful moist turkey on by Genesis 1000 and rotisserie with some cherry wood smoke.

I've fried, smoked and roasted. My favorite was injected, smoked for about two hours and then fried. The bird got rave reviews.

I’ve fried a bunch and they’ve all been good but, for ease and quality, I’m really sold on the kettle method. A few pieces of cherry and you have a beautiful presentation along with the fine feast!

The turkey that I had my grocer freeze for me last found it's way to the smoker grill yesterday. The smoke, the citrus and the cumin married beautifully. Black beans, fresh tomatoes and sweet corn! Gonna be the recipe we'll use for the Thanksgiving

I used to fry turkeys alot, prolly have 2-3 set-ups sitting up in the trusses in the garage.
Only time I use them now is to boil a mess of corn or red taters.
Bought an infrared propane Turkey Fryer ( no oil) from Char-Broil a few years ago and that works just as good with no headaches.
Price of oil really turned me off on that method.

Tim

Place the bird on a drying rack over a pan and place in the fridge, uncovered.

Case - do you then rinse-off the brine before cooking? If so, after patting dry again is there an optimal length of time for air drying again and is that done in the fridge, or on the counter if a short period of time? Thx.

Back