Kosher and regular salt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry Evers

TVWBB Fan
Can anyone tell me the difference between Kosher and regular salt? Does it really make that big of a difference? Do you prefer one over the other? Is one "saltier" tasting than the other?
Thanks as always,
Larry

For a given volume, kosher salt will not seem as salty as standard table salt. That's because for a given volume kosher weighs in less than table salt.
Some people say they like the taste of kosher salt better. To me it tastes pretty much like salt, though I regularly use sea salt, which tastes better to me.
Someone else may tell you that they can't tell the difference between sea salt, kosher salt, or table salt.
It's a matter of personal taste, though you do want to stay clear of iodized salt for cooking, since it can impart a slight bitterness.
Try various salts. Pretty soon you'll have a preference.

Hi Larry,

It WILL make a difference when brining. The reason is as Richard mentioned....you need more Kosher salt than table salt to get equal salinity. This is due to the fact the Kosher has much larger crystals than table salt.

My basic brine for pork calls for 3/4 cup Kosher OR 6 Tablespooons table salt.

As for just using it to flavor meat, I notice very little difference when simply shaking it on meat.

For all practical purposes, the only difference between "kosher" salt and regular table salt is the coarser grind.

Chef's prefer kosher salt because it is less messy to grab a pinch with moist hands and sprinkle it. Also, there is somewhat less chance of "over-salting" since a pinch of the coarser grained kosher salt is less salty than a pinch of table salt.

Hi Larry,

As an avid cook and first time smoker, I prefer kosher salt and sea salt over table salt for everything but popcorn and baking recipes. They taste better, their easier to pinch and toss and they are more forgiving if you add too much to the food.

Check out this web page for everything you ever wanted to know about salt.

All About Salt

Mike

Here is an interesting article on Kosher Salt
MSNBC/WSJ Kosher Slat Wars
Like Paul Kirk says if you don't think there is a difference put out some sea salt and some kosher salt and some table salt. Try all three and taste the regular table salt last. Then let us know if you don't think there is a difference. For a real treat if you have a health food co-op get some Celtic Sea Salt for the taste test.

Interesting article in the Sept/Oct 2002 edition of Cook's Illustrated on salt. They tasted 9 different salts used in a variety of ways:
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI>dissolved in spring water
<LI>dissolved in chicken stock
<LI>dissolved in water used to cook pasta
<LI>baked in biscuits
<LI>sprinkled onto beef tenderloin

[/list]
They said that favor differences were extremely subtle and that texture only came into play with the biscuits and the tenderloin.
Two expensive sea salts came out first and second, then Morton kosher third and Diamond kosher fourth, followed by three other sea salts in fifth, sixth, and eighth places, then Morton iodized table salt in seventh and Morton non-iodized table salt in ninth.
They recommend using expensive salts on the dinner table as a special treat, kosher salt for everyday use around the stovetop, and table salt for baking because of its fine grains.

Regards,
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back