Korean Fried Chicken Wings - from ATK on FB

Clint

TVWBB Olympian
Korean Fried Chicken Wings
From Korean Feast

Why This Recipe Works

A thin, crispy exterior and a spicy-sweet-salty sauce are the hallmarks of Korean fried chicken. The biggest challenge is preventing the sauce from destroying the crust. We dunk the wings (which cook quickly and offer a high skin-to-meat ratio for maximum crunch) in a loose batter of flour, cornstarch, and water, which clings nicely to the chicken and fries up brown and crispy. To help the coating withstand a wet sauce, we double-fry the wings, which removes more water from the skin than a single fry does, making the coating extra-crispy. The Korean chile paste known as gochujang gives our sauce the proper spicy, fermented notes, while sugar tempers the heat, and garlic and ginger—cooked briefly with sesame oil—provide depth.

Ingredients

1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
1 teaspoon garlic, minced to paste
1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
1 ¾ cups water
3 tablespoons sugar
2–3 tablespoons gochujang
1 tablespoon soy sauce
2 quarts vegetable oil
1 cup all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons cornstarch
3 pounds chicken wings, cut at joints, wingtips discarded

Instructions

Serves 4 to 6 as a main dish

A rasp-style grater makes quick work of turning the garlic into a paste. Our favorite rasp-style grater is the Microplane Classic Zester Grater. Gochujang, a Korean chile-soybean paste, can be found in Asian markets and in some supermarkets. Tailor the heat level of your wings by adjusting its amount. If you can’t find gochujang, substitute an equal amount of Sriracha sauce and add only 2 tablespoons of water to the sauce. For a complete meal, serve with steamed white rice and a slaw.

1. Combine sesame oil, garlic, and ginger in large bowl and microwave until mixture is bubbly and garlic and ginger are fragrant but not browned, 40 to 60 seconds. Whisk in ¼ cup water, sugar, gochujang, and soy sauce until smooth; set aside.

2. Heat vegetable oil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat to 350 degrees. While oil heats, whisk flour, cornstarch, and remaining 1½ cups water in second large bowl until smooth. Set wire rack in rimmed baking sheet and set aside.

3. Place half of wings in batter and stir to coat. Using tongs, remove wings from batter one at a time, allowing any excess batter to drip back into bowl, and add to hot oil. Increase heat to high and cook, stirring occasionally to prevent wings from sticking, until coating is light golden and beginning to crisp, about 7 minutes. (Oil temperature will drop sharply after adding wings.) Transfer wings to prepared rack. Return oil to 350 degrees and repeat with remaining wings. Reduce heat to medium and let second batch of wings rest for 5 minutes.

4. Heat oil to 375 degrees. Carefully return all wings to oil and cook, stirring occasionally, until deep golden brown and very crispy, about 7 minutes. Return wings to rack and let stand for 2 minutes. Transfer wings to reserved sauce and toss until coated. Return wings to rack and let stand for 2 minutes to allow coating to set. Transfer to platter and serve.

there's a video that'll hopefully work, I subscribe but I'm not logged in - try hitting refresh on your browser if the vid/link don't work.

I made these tonight - decent but not as good as they could've been. My fresh ginger must've been >2 weeks old and didn't look right so I used ground/dried ginger from the spice cabinet - even though I used what I thought would = the amount called for of the fresh it didn't have enough (any) ginger flavor so I added more - still no ginger flavor. Next, the garlic tasted too raw - I let it go for 45 seconds in the microwave & didn't give it a second thought...didn't taste or even think to taste it.

Frying them twice in the thin batter gave them a crispy texture, I should've given some a toss in my normal sauce for a better comparison, but really I like my regulars better. This was a nice try, maybe I'll try them again sometime if I feel like giving fried wings another shot.

27500302_10211314290794937_2486042965079808251_o.jpg

27503463_10211314291354951_1946719130084141601_o.jpg

27747820_10211314292434978_7265654936720771466_o.jpg

Back