Knife Sharpening Kits/Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin K

TVWBB Fan
Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone knew of any good knife sharpening kits and sources. I am looking for something to take care of my everyday kitchen knives.

I am primarily considering a rod guided system. The Edgepro Apex set is supposed to be the best, but I am looking at getting a GATCO Diamond System because of value.

I did consider buying the ChefsChoice 3 stage sharpening machine, but since I wanted to do some serrated edges as well (and it was expensive), I thought I would pass on it.

I do have some regular flat stones, but while searching online for tips on achieving razor sharp edges, the consensus seemed to be that without some sort of edge guide, you would be hit or miss on edge quality.

Thanks for the help,

Kevin

Hi Kevin

I've had a ChefsChoice 3 Stage for about 3 yrs now. You will find that unless you have some knives that are in real bad shape you won't use the first stage very often. Overall it does a very good job.

Would definitely recommend the above link to learn about knife sharpening and systems.

I personally use a 3 stone system from Smith-Abrasives. Was about $30 and is easy to use and not hard to learn to put on a nice sharp edge.

Mike

sharpener2.jpg

Hi Kevin,
You might want to check out SPYDERCO'S TRI-ANGLE SHARPMAKER 203. It's real simple and easy to use and it keeps my knives and just about anything that needs sharpening sharp from knives to fishing hooks to lawn mower blades. The system consists of a base, 2-medium grit ceramic triangle sticks, 2-fine grit ceramic triangle sticks, and 2- brass blade guards. Just pop the triangle sticks in the base and draw your blade down and across several times to get a good sharp edge. Finish up with the fine grit sticks for a razor sharpness check 'em out at www.spyderco.com, they run about $70.00 Aloha, mattD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back