knife set

Looking to buy a nice knife set that comes in a case that I can take with me to comps as well as use at home. Anyone have suggestions on what you guys use.

Last edited:
Watching on TV, they use what they're comfortable with: ham slicer, chef, cleaver, even electric carving knife.

I have read that you shouldn't buy a set. You end up getting stuff you don't need for more money. We use a 6" boning knife, a paring knife, a 12" cimeter, and a slicing knife for our comp setup. Got a roll up case to carry them as well as the blades for the electric knife. I think Cook's Country had the article on not buying a set. Should get whatever Victorinox knives you want now, I heard they are going commercial only, no more retail. I just bought 2 more boning knives to put back for this reason.

Click the Amazon link above and all these are available there.

Last edited:
I would not buy a set as I think you would have some knives that you would not use. I like to browse the magazine / pamphlet that these folks will send you. Go to their web site and request the catalog. They have many different brands and give hints about which knives fit your needs. I have been very happy with the. See http://www.knifemerchant.com/
Ray

For comps, I would recommend looking at Forshner/Victrinox with Fibrox handles. They are well made, fairly inexpensive, and durable. In fact you'll see many professional butchers using them. I would recommend a chefs knife, boning knife, paring knife, and granton slicer to start for BBQ, then add as you feel the need

You can pick up a knife roll online.

Last edited:
Buy the Victorinox knives mentioned above, I just picked up the curved boning knife and the 12 granton slicer as well as knife roll and blade guards from amazon, I have the winco cleaver too- very inexpensive but great for chopping pork. I am getting the chefs knife soon. I am also getting shuns, but will probably leave them at home and take the victorinoxs. The roll I have is winco and is very affordable.

Just my 2 cents..
Regarding the set … I would only occasional use the Breaking knife.

I can’t imagine a scenario where the Cimeter is used much .. maybe breaking down a big fish or quartering a deer. You can trim Spares to St Louis and trim fat off a brisket or pork shoulder with the Breaking knife.

The Boning knife is to remove meat from bone like removing a chicken breast off the whole chicken. I never felt I needed that type of knife to trim comp meats. A Utility knife is a more flexible option.

What I mostly use for comps is a 12 inch Slicer for brisket, a 6 inch or so Utility knife to scrape and trim chicken pieces, and a Breaking knife to trim spares. Those are the three main knives I used for comps.

For home use, a Chef’s knife is my main knife for about 90% or so of knife work, but we also have a bread (10 in. Forschner), utility, and a folding pocket knife to open packages. I also use an inexpensive Japanese Fish knife called a Deba to trim anything near bones like ribs or splitting chickens.

My slicer, breaking, Chinese cleaver, and filet knives are more specialty knives that are rarely used.

Be sure to post a review if you get those knives, please.

I don't cook competitively. My go to knives are a 4 blade set sold under the Wolgang Puck brand at Sam's for about $20. I continue to be amazed at how well they hold an edge. They are quite comfortable. I think the 4 pieces are a 10" chef's, an 8" chef's a small - maybe 3" - with the wide blade like the chefs' and a paring knife. The only addition I've made is to buy an inexpensive steel to keep the edges in condition.

I have a number of knives that I use... My partner that I cook with has his that he likes and I have mine. Invest in what knives you like and get a good case for them...

CM

We use the Cimiter for trimming packers, but I have also used the boning knife for this so it isn't a necessary tool. Just a handy one.

Back