Kingsford with Hickory Yea or Nay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob Correll

R.I.P. 3/31/2022
Just returned from Wally World where I purchased a bag of Kinsford w/hickory.

I've never tried it, and wanted to hear opinions.

BTW, the $6.00 off coupon found on the Trading Post forum worked fine.
I bought a small bottle of KC bbq sauce for $1.42, and the charcoal at $8.97. (regular blue bag was $7.50)

Also found a 15" x 20" poly cutting board for $9.97 and best of all it's made in the USA!

I tried a bag of it last month, when I started it in the chimney it seemed like all the little shreds of hickory burned away before I even dumped them in the grill. Now when I used sort of a mini-minion on the kettle you could smell the hickory as new coals were lit. But honestly given the price of it I would stick with regular old K and use chips or chunks for smoke.

I agree...just buy a bag of wood chips, soak em for a bit and throw them on. Plus the wood chips come in every wood possible, so you can change em up. In my performer storage bin I always keep a few varities on hand.

Around here they sell charcoal infused with mesquite. It is pretty worthless on the grill, but you can smell it on minion smokes. I havent bought that stuff in years. You get more mesquite flavor from mesquite lump grilling or smoking. Im sure its the same with the hickory stuff. Stick with chunks if you can.

It doesn't seem to work very well.Just buy a bag of hickory chips/chucks. Its dirt cheap and very easy to find if you want that smoke flavor.

I had high hopes for it but it didn't seem to amount to much of anything. We couldn't smell hickory at all once it got grayed over. I haven't tried a Minion session with it, but I've got one bag left and a brisket in the freezer... might be something to do this weekend.

I've given it a chance a couple of times. I won't buy another bag unless it's REALLY cheap. No, I couldn't smell any wood smoke once ashed over....

Plus, I really didn't set a stop watch or do a controlled experiment but it did not seem to burn as hot and/or long (depending if I was using it for high heat or low) as the regular K.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bob Correll:
Just returned from Wally World...

Also found a 15" x 20" poly cutting board for $9.97 and best of all it's made in the USA! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bob, I have that cutting board w/ the 'moat'...love it for trimming/carving meat. It doesn't fit in the dishwasher, however
icon_frown.gif

Kevin H.

I've been buying this coal since the local grocer ran out of Kingsford Blue Bag.
The mesquite and hickory is all they have left, and using the 6 dollar off coupon, I ain't crying over spendin' only 2 and a half bucks for 18 lbs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back