Kingsford R&D lab trip report now available

Chris - just another 'hi five' from the peanut gallery thanking you for an excellent report.

Your site never fails to illuminate (kingsford or lump!)...

I'll second that . . . or third . . . or . . whatever it's up to now.

Great piece Chris. I was skeptical but sounds like the Kingsford guys have done their homework. Very interesting piece.

It seems that Kingsford realizes there is a set of people who may buy 200-400 pounds of charcoal at once and that this adds up to a sizeable customer base. This set of folks probably barbecue a lot more often than the average backyard griller, who might go through a bag or two of charcoal all summer. Of course, I'm talking about the low and slow cookers who visit this and other sites on the web.

It would be interesting to see the sales statistics related to sales of high temperature grillers compared to low and slowers (smokers). I would venture to guess that the average low and slow bbq'er uses 5 to 10 times the volume of fuel that the weekend backyard griller does in an average year.

Due to Chris's diligence, I guess I'll keep the bags of new K I bought and give it a try. Thanks Chris for your hard work.

Rather humorous point in that brochure from Kingsford. They refer to someone using Kingsford in a Big Green Egg! As far as I know, I'm the only person who does that and that's only to do testing!
icon_smile.gif

I suppose I should add that the reason why very few, if any, BGE owners would burn Kingsford in a BGE is not that we are snobs (we are, lol!) but that the design of most (if not all) ceramic charcoal cookers is such that low ash is vital. Ash that falls from the charcoal ends up in the bottom of a bowl. All the air that feeds the fire comes up through the bottom of the bowl and if it fills with ash, out goes the fire. Kingsford produces an appalling quantity of ash which is just incompatible with the design of a ceramic charcoal cooker if you plan to cook for longer than a few hours.

Originally posted by Doug Hanthorn:
Rather humorous point in that brochure from Kingsford...
The part I found interesting was:

"Why are your results more valid that those of Web sites that have tested your products?"

When I talked to them about this PDF and mentioned your review, it was clear that they knew about it and had crafted this section as a response to your Web site.

You certainly got their attention.

Regarding Kingsford producing an "appalling" amount of ash, it's not so in a WSM.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Seriously, keep doin' what you're doin', TNW! You've got a cool site that I've learned a lot from over the years. If you all haven't checked it out, you should:

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm

Regards,
Chris

Back