Kingsford original getting bad reviews

While they may have investors, and maybe part of a larger conglomerate, they still employ numerous American workers who probably make a decent living. They probably pay more in taxes, contribute to ,401k's and pensions etc., and probably invests in their community. This whole notion that supporting a smaller company is somehow more noble than supporting a larger company tires me. I have no problem with any charcoal company, and anyone can support whomever they wish but to vilify a company just because it is successful seems wrong to me. Honestly with how things are in the world economy, we should all be supporting American companies, large and small regardless.

Me off my soapbox now as well.

I do use KB for smoking as I find it entirely predicatable which is what I look for smoking. I use lump for grilling because I appreciate the high heat.

I couldn't agree more, very well said.

Any surprise? Really? Not bashing the stuff, since I've STILL got several bags of it in my shed, but in a way, don't you think that Kbb is to charcoal as Walmart is to retail? :confused:

Any surprise? Really? Not bashing the stuff, since I've STILL got several bags of it in my shed, but in a way, don't you think that Kbb is to charcoal as Walmart is to retail? :confused:

Guys, I really should be more clear that I'm not knocking the stuff. Just saying that it is what it is, and someone shouldn't expect too much for something so relatively cheap. I use it for moderate temp direct grilling of burgers, chops, fish, etc, and for lighting to start shorter smokes.

I use Royal Oak, but I must confess, in the first bag I ever bought I found some foreign substance which turned out to be some small amount of fiberglass.
I guessed maybe some of the wood came from demo'ed construction, and a little insulation got dragged in. Just a guess.
It hasn't stopped me from using it, I prefer it to Kingsford because of minimal ash.

I use RO lump and notice that occasionally. It's Roxul a fireproof insulation that they prolly use around the kiln, we use it on rated fire walls to fill in the gaps. You might also find a few stones,rocks and pieces of mortar, again that might be part of the kiln or just logs being dragged around a gravel yard by a front loader.

Tim

Back