Kingsford Competition Charcoal

Dan Quinlan

TVWBB Member
Picked up a double pack of Kingsford Competition at Costco for tonight's overnight cook. They were out of Kingsford Blue and Blue seems like its producing way more ash lately than in years past. Anyone had good success with Kingsford Comp for a low-and-slow overnight? I'll let everyone know tomorrow how it goes.

All 7 of the cooks I have done were with k comp. I love the stuff. I have not done overnight but I have run for 12 hours with minimal input with good results. Good luck.

I've done overnights with K Comp. I had no problems holding temps or length of burn. I look forward to the post of your overnighter.

I am absolutely thrilled with the Kingsford Comp. It held nice and steady all night (13 hour cook), and a quick stir this morning let me run the temp up. It seems like I could have been fine for a longer cook without needing to add any fuel.

I have not tried K Comp, but here is a comparison test by Naked Whiz that pits it against regular K and another brand.

I learned from it that I need to find some Wicked Good Charcoal Weekend Warrior briquettes. Never seen it in stores before.

In the last three months I have done three cooks of 12+ hours using K-Comp-- really like it, and have had no issues at all. Certainly making it my go-to this summer, and hopefully during the "off-season" so long as places keep it stocked.

I can't help but wonder if possibly K-Comp makes your WSM run a tad hot, but I'm still in my 'breaking in' period of first 10-15 cooks on my WSM, so it might just be that.

to the poster referencing Wicked good Briquettes, they are almost impossible to get right now. You might want to checkout Humphrey's Natural Briquettes. neat stuff. very different than regular K. you can actually see the chunks of lump pressed into the shape.

Back