Kingsford Competition Briquettes - How much to use ?

Richard K Wong

I cooked some baby backs last week using a full chimney of lit Kingsford Competition briquettes on my WSM. The water pan was full of hot water and all vents were open. The WSM held at around 325. Even after closing the vents and throwing ice cubes into the pan, I couldn't really get the temperature down very much or very fast. In the end I just removed some of the lit coals, but the temperature was still stubbornly high

I don't normally use the Competition ones, just the regular ones and for a full chimney I can hold 230-250 much easily with a full lit chimney and all vents open with hot water in the pan.

To hold that temperature range in future using those briquettes for baby backs or spares, should I just go with 3/4 chimney and nothing extra or just count out how many briquettes to use ? Should I avoid hot water in the pan. Perhaps just foil the pan ?

I'm cooking some spares this weekend and looking for some advice. Is 4 1/2 hours about right for spares as well as baby backs or should I go a bit longer ?

Well i dont have Kingsford here in Sweden...But i only start with 1/3 chimney(lit).

And i dont use water atm,but if i did it would be warm. Be sure to close down vents 20-40f below target temp.(depends on how air tight your WSM is)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Richard K Wong:
I'm cooking some spares this weekend and looking for some advice. Is 4 1/2 hours about right for spares as well as baby backs or should I go a bit longer ? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

At 250 - 275, spares take more like 6 hours. Baby backs take a little less time but 4 1/2 hours is a little short on time unless you're going to bring the heat up or foil.

I would recommend using the minion method, and lighting with about 20-25 briquettes...you should be able to hold temp better. I've been using the Kingston Competition for over a year, since that is all that Costco carries.

Back