Kingsford Competition Briquets - Are You Using it?

John Vale

TVWBB Fan
Last week I found the new Kingsford Competition Briquets at Costco. Two 16.5 lbs bags for $16.

I have tried it in my Weber kettle for grilling but not in my WSM 18 inch yet.

It lights fast, burns hot and produces noticeably less ash. It also seems to burn faster.

Have you used this charcoal in the WSM and if so is it now your charcoal of choice?

John

So far its my coal of choice. I like briquets because of the uniform size-makes it easier to fill the charcoal ring good and tight. I do not use regular K or any briquet that is not 100% all wood. I am waiting for Rancher to show up here at my local OSH. When it does it just might become my fuel of choice.

John,

I have been using the competition briquettes and love them. My local Costco told me today that they were "testing" them and may not have them back any time soon... bummer!

I've used them in my WSM. My problem with them is that around here, I've only seen them at HD, the 12 lb bag for about $10. I got two bags to try and they worked just fine. At the HD price, too expensive for me to use on a regular basis. I prefer lump myself.

Dave,
A 16.5 lb bag of Competition is suppose to be
the same as a 21 lb bag of regular KF. I have
filled my WSM and not had to do anything except
stir them once, during an 11.5 hr burn. I
stirred them only because I threw some more
wood on the fire. There was very little ash
when I was done also.

I would like to know another national store
that carries them, at a hot price...

I've never used lump in my WSM, although I do like it in my kettle.

I found the 2 pack of the big bags at Costco on sale for 12.97 a couple weeks ago and loaded up. No "off smell" on startup and they do burn nice and hot. They work just fine in my WSM and kettle.

I used them for the first time this weekend and loved it. Did a long smoke on 2 buts with the minion method and 6 to 8 lit coals. Once the cooker was up to 200 I closed down all the lower vents. Did not have to touch it for over 15 hrs! After that I had to open the vents a sliver and it help temp over 18 hrs without fuss. My only beef was that the cooker got a little hot 250-265 around hour 6 or 7 but I can live with that if I don't have to go out at 5 in the morning to kick the legs and bring the temp back up. Clean up is also easier.

I'm using Comp' "K" right now as I'm typing..So far it's working well..holding steady in the WSM at 225-235...I really love it when I'm grilling...I'll post the pics from this cook a little later...

Ron

I've been using it in my WSM since it became available. I love the really quick starting, better smell and reduced ash production. I also haven't found it to be any more difficult to control the temperature in the smoker with the Competition vs. the blue bag.

I tried it and liked it. I just wish it were cheaper. There are always Memorial Day sales of the regular K and I pick up a year's supply. If the competition K has a good sale I'll stock up. If not, it's another year of standard K.

Bill

Back