kingsford charcoal containers

George Curtis

TVWBB Olympian
Well, since the containers are made of cheap plastic and self destruct I have gone to the cheap lowes or harbor freight buckets. A place that sells great sandwiches also sells buckets so I may try those. But no more $11 things that break within a year or so. One lasted 4 years only because it stayed in the shade and was never moved. Well, untill I moved it, crack.

Never heard of that (mine stay in the bag) but consider going to a u-make wine or beer store. They have lots of those 4-5 gal white buckets that wine concentrate come in that they'll be glad to get rid of for free or a buck. Comes with handle and lid.

Looks like the white bucket in this pic

wine-making-kit.jpg

Last edited:
I'm lucky enough to work in a boiler / chilled water plant. One of our water treatments was powdered bromine. It came in a nice plastic over sized plastic bucket. The nice thing about these buckets was that they had screw on lids with a rubber o ring seal. I washed out the bucket REAL good, and have been keeping my open bags of KBB in that. It'll hold a 20 pound bag less one full chimney starter. I would have loved to have gotten another one. It would have been great for chicken and turkey brining.

I had one awhile ago and it didn't last and was a pain to use. I keep my fuel in the bags now in the garage on a drywall cart.
Buddeez makes the K one but they also make larger ones like the 32 qt jumbo dispenser I use for my dogfood, and have several in the garage for bird/seed, ice melt and fertilizers.
Now those have held up for quite awhile.

Tim

I have a small metal garbage can (like the old style garbage cans from years ago) that I use to store my charcoal in. I think that I found it at Lowes. I am going to caulk over the holes where the handle fits on the lid to make it water tight. It holds a whole 20 pound bag of charcoal.

Before I got a Performer and started keeping my charcoal in it's plastic tub (in the bag) I used a Kingsford tub for 6 or so years and never had a problem with it.

I've had my Kingsford caddy for almost ten years, it lives outside under the grill table(shaded most of the time) in the summer and in the garage or back porch during the winter. I was on vacation and was looking for one to leave at my sister in laws cottage. Never had a problem except the red part of the handle broke, not an issue. I was considering one of those 40lb. dog food dispenser things that hangs on a garage wall. Has anyone tried one and how did it work out?

I guess it must be the
air here. All three of mine are done. One holds my good wine oak staves and other smoking wood. Its in the shade covered by a roof and bag. Still became brittle and cracked. The other two have been tossed.

Back