Kingford blue vs comp. briquettes.

Thanks for all the advise. I like the idea of waiting for the smoke to clear after lighting up the K. This will assure no smell getting in my food.
Hey Jim thanks for the offer. Ha Ha. I just stored all the bags on a shelf and away from the concrete floor. I'm going to smoke a brisket on Sunday and test out the blue bag stuff.
Happy New Year to all.

Wish you could get 20lb bags of the old blue. I have not had a problem with off taste, but the new blue burns down too fast for my taste. All that being said, it's still pretty reliable stuff.

Just bought my first bag of CompK. Store shelves were bare. Well except for the Jack Daniels stuff. Anyone ever try that?

Happy New Year!!!

I would rather use a gas grill/smoker than use charcoal briqutes. I have used nothing but lump for almost five years and I cannot stand the smell of Kingsford. Whats wrong with real anyway? To me it is like the cigerete smokers who dont even notice how bad they stink. Step away from the Kingford for a minute and I think you will notice a differance. If you dont like the lack of petro-chemicals you can always add a litte lighter fluid to the marinade.
icon_smile.gif

I normally use hardwood lump, but for some reason I decided to use briquettes for our annual Sho-Gatsu day party as I was cooking 18 lbs. of yaki-tori and 10 lbs. of flap steak. I only used a single kettle.

I saw the competition briquettes at the local market, so decided to try it...was intrigued enough to try it, anyway.

I used the entire 15 lbs. bag to cook it all, which amounted to 3 full chimney stacks.

My opinion is that the briquettes burned up much faster than blue k does. FWIW, I never had a problem in the past when I have used blue k with not being hot enough, so not sure I see the advantage in these competition briquettes for my use. They seemed like they could be hotter, but they just seemed to burn up quickly. Maybe me, but much faster than hardwood lump.

I'm going back to hardwood lump...but it was good to remind myself why I normally use hardwood lump. I seem to get good results with it on both kettle and WSM, although in the WSM lump seems to fluctuate a lot more once the top is opened during a cook, and takes me longer to get stable.

I would rather use a gas grill/smoker than use charcoal briqutes. I have used nothing but lump for almost five years and I cannot stand the smell of Kingsford. Whats wrong with real anyway? To me it is like the cigerete smokers who dont even notice how bad they stink. Step away from the Kingford for a minute and I think you will notice a differance. If you dont like the lack of petro-chemicals you can always add a litte lighter fluid to the marinade

Corn starch = petro-chemical? Another lump prima donna! Just kidding of course, my best friend will only use BGE lump on his BGE, he cooks some good stuff, but so do I with K. I've used both but mainly stick with K. I do have problems finding good lump and I dont consider the cowboy stuff good lump. If you ever watch Pit Masters on TLC you'll notice plenty of briquettes.....

I had only used lump on the WSM(mine and a loaner I had), couldnt find any on Friday on the way home, and got the Kingsford Comp. briquettes. Worked pretty good, but produced alot more ash than lump.

Will i switch to briquettes from lump? no, but in a pinch id use the competition briquettes again.

Right "on the money", Jim
icon_smile.gif
Lump starts faster, burns hotter, produces less ash, and is more expensive (approx $.85/lbs, here).. <span class="ev_code_BLUE">K</span> is available almost anywhere, and is a bargain @ $.32/lbs @ Sams locally (with the killer coupon $.08/lbs @ Wal-Mart) .... sooo, I use lump for short high heat cooks....and <span class="ev_code_BLUE">K</span> for loooong low n slow cooks
icon_wink.gif
Whatever floats yer boat
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Back