Kielbasa Krakowska Krajana

Bruce McLeod

TVWBB Member
Managed to get a twin pack of pork butts on sale last week... One became pulled pork and the other, kielbasa.

In Poland, almost all sausage is called 'kielbasa'. Krakowska Krajana sausage, always one of the top 5 sellers in Poland, derives its name from the old previous Polish capital city of Kraków (Crakow). The middle part of the name “krajana” implies that the meat is manually cut into pieces. This has become my 'go-to' kielbasa recipe because it turns out well almost every time I make it.
Here's the process I used:
1. Basically, after the butt is boned and trimmed, the back fat (about 5% of total weight) is removed and diced, then set aside.
2. The other internal 'soft fat' is removed, cut into ~2" pieces and set aside.
3. Although many Polish recipes for this sausage call for the leanest meat to be cut into 2" pieces, here I trimmed, then diced the leanest meat into 3/4" pieces and set it aside
4. Finally, I trimmed the remaining 'fatty' meat, diced it into 1" chunks and set it aside.
5. Weighed all the separated meat/fat with the goal of having fat content as 25% of total weight.
6. Ran the back fat through a 3/16" disc on the grinder then the rest of the 'fatty meat' through the same disc. (The soft fat isn't ground).
7. Measured and mixed the spices and cure (for 11 lbs of meat/fat), then weighed and proportioned the mix according to the weight of each type of meat/fat to which it will be added.
8. Added the spices and cure to each 'set aside' meat/fat batch, thoroughly mixed each batch, then refrigerated everything overnight.
9. Next day added some of the ground 'fatty meat' to the soft fat until it was about 15% of the total weight (I'm guessing that the rest of the fat in the ground meat will be about 5% while the back fat is 5%).
10. Chilled this until almost frozen, then processed it in the food processor with ~2 cups ice-cold water until it was pretty much 'emulsified' and 'gluey' - which shouldn't take more than 90 seconds or so.
11. Combine everything (cubed lean meat, ground fatty meat, ground back fat and emulsified fat) and thoroughly mix it together by hand.
12. Soak casings in water for at least one hour before loading them on the stuffer horn (tube).
13. Pack sausage mixture into the stuffer and stuff into size 43-45 hog casings.

P1060286web.jpg

Note: I use the $80 Grizzly 5lb model - mounted on a 1.5" thick red cedar base and secured to the counter with quick-grip clamps.;)

P1060288web.jpg

14. Refrigerate kielbasa overnight.
15. The following day, I smoked them with applewood on the WSM, beginning with mini-minion, to internal 154˚. :wsm:
16. Plunge kielbasa into ice-water, then refrigerate until ready to use.

P1060296web.jpg

These are great cold or lightly heated in a pan.

Enjoy!!

Last edited:
My Polish tongue is drooling!! I have never been a fan of polish food, crazy because I am 50% polish , but I do love me some kielbasa!! Well done!!

I'm polish by marriage, Toni cooks some AWESOME polish meals taught to her by her Busha! Man could she cook up some winners. I learned and ate everything those women put infront of me NA ZDROWIE!!! ;) this ones going into the recipe folder. Thanks a bunch for posting this, a lot of hard work...and typing. THANKS BRUCE!!

nice job! the end product looks great.

I'm still too chicken to do an emulsified sausage. I helped make some brats that we did with a buffalo chopper and the resulting texture of the cook links wasn't quite right, it did nothing for my confidence.

Gentlemen,
Thanks for all the kind words.

j, congratulations on the bacon article!

Part of the process that I didn't mention above was the use of Stuffers Supply Co. 'gluten free kielbasa seasoning mix'.

http://estores.wws5.com/stuffers.com/wecs.php?store=stuffers&action=display&target=RBIMOGFKIEL

I also add some 'extra' garlic (hey, it's Polish sausage!!) to the mix which is then added to the fat before being processed in the Cuisinart - I add the ice water as it's processing.

The kielbasa mix contains both rice flour and rice starch, so those binders probably work quite nicely with the emulsified fat and water in the finished sausage.

This emulsifying process has also worked well when making bratwurst. With brats, I don't hand-cut any meat cubes, but coarsely grind the leanest meat, medium grind the fatty stuff (and back-fat) then emulsify the softer fat with fatty meat scraps. I also use sheep casings for a more tender 'bite'.

I did try making chicken thigh sausages once, but because chicken fat melts a such a low temperature, (and I didn't use any binder or pork back fat) they turned out like sawdust.:(

Last edited:
I did try making chicken thigh sausages once, but because chicken fat melts a such a low temperature, (and I didn't use any binder or pork back fat) they turned out like sawdust.:(

Bruce,

Chicken thighs make great sausage, using the skin for fat. Here's some I made along with a link to the recipe. It's actually juicier than most pork sausage I've made. We used all chicken, not 50/50 turkey like the recipe.

Last edited:
Bruce, That kielbasa looks amazing. Wish I had some of that for breakfast this morning!
Jon, Thanks for posting the chicken sausage link. Somehow I missed that post. Can't wait to try it.

Gentlemen,
Thanks for all the kind words.

j, congratulations on the bacon article!

Part of the process that I didn't mention above was the use of Stuffers Supply Co. 'gluten free kielbasa seasoning mix'.

http://estores.wws5.com/stuffers.com/wecs.php?store=stuffers&action=display&target=RBIMOGFKIEL

I also add some 'extra' garlic powder (hey, it's Polish sausage!!) to the mix which is then added to the fat before being processed in the Cuisinart - I add the ice water as it's processing.

The kielbasa mix contains both rice flour and rice starch, so those binders probably work quite nicely with the emulsified fat and water in the finished sausage.

This emulsifying process has also worked well when making bratwurst. With brats, I don't hand-cut any meat cubes, but coarsely grind the leanest meat, medium grind the fatty stuff (and back-fat) then emulsify the softer fat with fatty meat scraps. I also use sheep casings for a more tender 'bite'.

thanks, and yeah I haven't had much luck with chicken sausage either, too easily over cooked

Hey Bruce!
I am new to the blog and found my way here looking for a Krakow recipe. Your thread is fantastic regards the procedure, but I don't see anywhere the list of spices/quantities or ratios, etc. Did I miss something? I would love to have this info as well since I don't have a clue where to go with this. Can you help?
Thanks
Rich

Hey Bruce!
I am new to the blog and found my way here looking for a Krakow recipe. Your thread is fantastic regards the procedure, but I don't see anywhere the list of spices/quantities or ratios, etc. Did I miss something? I would love to have this info as well since I don't have a clue where to go with this. Can you help?
Thanks
Rich

Rich,
For this Krakowska Kielbasa batch, I used the gluten-free Kielbasa seasoning mix from Stuffer's Supply (adding roasted garlic).
See Post #8 for more details about that.
When making it from scratch, I usually draw on several recipes to fit the amount of pork shoulder I have on hand.
This site:
http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/sausage-recipes/krakowska
has an incredible amount of information on preparation, recipes, smoking etc.
It's my main source for the ingredients and quantities.
Note that the quantities listed are for ONE kilogram of shoulder.
The major modifications to traditional Krakowska that I make are:
1. Lean meat is diced into 3/4" chunks.
2. I add garlic.
3. Casings I use are smaller.
4. Sausages are smoked, but if the WSM takes too long, I finish them in a 170 degree oven to 154 degrees internal, then cool immediately in ice water.
Other than that, I usually follow the ingredient list in the recipe, multiplying everything according to the weight of the pork. In this case it was 11 lbs, which would be 5X the quantities in the recipe.
HTH, Bruce

Last edited:

Back