Kick Ash Basket for Summit Kamado and Charcoal

DanHoo

TVWBB Olympian
I was going to post this in the summit charcoal / kamado forum but, oh yeah, we don't have one.

KA has a basket for the WSK.

I have a KA basket for my large BGE and its great to be able to pull the basket with coal to light it over a gas burner or to aid cleaning without losing a bunch of coal out of the char baskets. I'm not sure it's as important on the WSK as the BGE since the WSK has the ash sweeps.

I'm wondering if it rest in both upper and lower levels or possibly if it allows a smaller cooking grid right on top of it, which would be awesome for a reverse sear.

Definitely not a "need to have" but more of a someday maybe.
1689905089483.png

1689905125625.png

1689905150344.png

1689905201037.png

I ordered it to try out. I’m a sucker for things like this and also enjoy using a KA basket with my BGE Mini. After each cook, when time allows I like to pull all the extinguished lump out and check for hardened grease drips when cleaning (trying to avoid bent ash sweeps). This will make it easier to remove everything.

Thanks for the heads up! I was just on their site the other day and did not see this.

I’ll wait for y’all feedback. I don’t cook in that method a lot. I prefer the CBs for searing and then moving to indirect.

The only time I’d use this is meat on swords or a TT.

I bought some expanded metal to shape a while back to make a lower bowl coal basket.

I guess in need to shape it and try it. Clearly it’s been a low priority.

Thanks for the info Dan.

That looks good for smokes with the lower charcoal grate. I typically use the WSM 18 charcoal ring in my Summit. It fits perfectly in the lower grate area but like the thoughts of shaking out he dust for easy clean up. I typically use the CBs on the upper grate. I like the thought just leaving this in the lower position all the time. Thanks

The main benefit I would find in something like this is the clean up.
Using the sweeps and emptying the holding bowl is very messy.....about 10 times messier than what it is on the performer.
I cannot even hardly move the lower air vent while I cook without fear of ashes blowing up onto the food I am making......earlier in the cook is less of a worry but once there is a lot of ashes in there it goes crazy, I have to move it very slowly.......usually I don't need to move it more than 1/16th anyways just to adjust temps 10 - 20 degrees.
Not sure why, maybe I made a mistake during assembly...?????
All I know is during cleanup time my deck is a mess under the E6......I clean the performer constantly and there never is a mess.

The main benefit I would find in something like this is the clean up.
Using the sweeps and emptying the holding bowl is very messy.....about 10 times messier than what it is on the performer.
I cannot even hardly move the lower air vent while I cook without fear of ashes blowing up onto the food I am making......earlier in the cook is less of a worry but once there is a lot of ashes in there it goes crazy, I have to move it very slowly.......usually I don't need to move it more than 1/16th anyways just to adjust temps 10 - 20 degrees.
Not sure why, maybe I made a mistake during assembly...?????
All I know is during cleanup time my deck is a mess under the E6......I clean the performer constantly and there never is a mess.
With briqs, sure there’s ash. With JD, there’s almost zero ash. Kxxx anything leave a giant mess. That’s why I only use briqs on LAS. Everything else is JD and or with natural wood.

I typically use the WSM 18 charcoal ring in my Summit. It fits perfectly in the lower grate area but like the thoughts of shaking out he dust for easy clean up.
I use the same thing. The WSM 18 inch charcoal ring fits perfectly and keeps all of the charcoal directly under the diffuser. If I have leftover charcoal, I just use my charcoal tongs and stir them around a little to shake off the ash and fire them back up.

This is the KA basket for my large BGE. I like that I can lift it out, shake the spent coal and light it on a gas burner.

I've used this basket on my E6 set on the coal grate lower level.

I think the KA basket for the WSK will work well and I'm looking forward to pics from @Michael Chen

20230528_140225.jpg

I'll need to remember to take photos while cooking and share!

I bet I can count on you all here to remind me if I forget though! 😅

I'll need to remember to take photos while cooking and share!

I bet I can count on you all here to remind me if I forget though! 😅

A couple of things I'm interested in are:
- can it raise the coal up to the upper level easily
- will it sit at the lower level and then support the current coal grate as a searing grid.

on my BGE I have a drop spider, and a searing grid that puts the food right on top of the coals. I do this when I reverse sear tri tip on the BGE and its fantastic.

1689961957292.png

I like it. If I wouldn't have purchased the custom made Arbor Fab one, I would go for this.

FYI- price for the custom arbor fab shipped was about $10 more than this one shipped (Due to shipping being higher. Cost of the basket was actually less). View attachment 75131
Is this for LAS only? Or so you always cook with coals in the lower position? Trying to understand the use model on this basket, please.

That looks like a decent option to use instead of the factory charcoal grate. Keep us informed on how you like it and if you think there are advantages in using it. I like the fact that it contains the fuel and is easy to shake out the ash.

I like it. If I wouldn't have purchased the custom made Arbor Fab one, I would go for this.

FYI- price for the custom arbor fab shipped was about $10 more than this one shipped (Due to shipping being higher. Cost of the basket was actually less). View attachment 75131
Is this for LAS only? Or so you always cook with coals in the lower position? Trying to understand the use model on this basket, please.

I keep the arbor fab in the lower position all the time. Even when I’m cooking with the baskets or Vortex up top, it makes it easy to dump leftover lump into the basket, shake it out, and recycle. It’s helpful for charcoal management.
And of course, it’s great for low and slow, I have it loaded up for an overnight cook tonight.

I was going to post this in the summit charcoal / kamado forum but, oh yeah, we don't have one.

KA has a basket for the WSK.

I have a KA basket for my large BGE and its great to be able to pull the basket with coal to light it over a gas burner or to aid cleaning without losing a bunch of coal out of the char baskets. I'm not sure it's as important on the WSK as the BGE since the WSK has the ash sweeps.

I'm wondering if it rest in both upper and lower levels or possibly if it allows a smaller cooking grid right on top of it, which would be awesome for a reverse sear.

Definitely not a "need to have" but more of a someday maybe.
View attachment 75084

View attachment 75085

View attachment 75086

View attachment 75087

Where is this KA basket you speak of? Just on their website but did not see it. I have a KA basket for my Kamado Joe classic and it minimizes lump or charcoal cleanup. Lift and Shake.

Low and slow only. That WSK setup is what I do with the WSM, but with the charcoal rack and an old coffee can. I use the minion basket to put my starter coals in there. I don't use if for other things. I have gone to the vortex or coal baskets for everything else on the WSK.

Back