Kick Ash Basket for Summit Kamado and Charcoal

A couple of things I'm interested in are:
- can it raise the coal up to the upper level easily
- will it sit at the lower level and then support the current coal grate as a searing grid.

The basket arrived today! I got home late and it is getting dark, but here are the initial impressions:

The basket does fit a little loosely, and does not feel super secure on the bottom grill straps. I don’t think this loose fit will be a huge problem. My E6 has the three position grill straps, and I can envision the basket getting caught on the middle position.

Can it raise the coal to the upper level easily? I’m going to go on a limb and say no. If you’re using the upper section that holds the deflector plate (or the charcoal grate in the upper position), the basket is too wide and cannot be lifted out of the bowl and repositioned. You can sort of see this in the photos provided by Kick Ash, especially the second to last one in your original post.

It will, however, sit on the lower level and will allow using the current charcoal grate as a searing grid. You just have to place the original coal grate in its upper position in place of the deflector plate. You can see this configuration in the final photo from Kick Ash in your original post.

My original charcoal grate is pretty nasty-looking though, so I’d almost consider buying another charcoal grate if I wanted to cook there.

The W22 divider sold by Kick Ash fits securely, and is easy to remove and reposition.

I did not try to place the basket in the upper position yet, nor have I tried placing the basket on top of the original charcoal grate in the lower position instead of just letting the basket sit on the grill straps. I suspect that it won’t fit well in the upper position, or at least, not be easy placed there.

I’ll snap some photos with my phone when cooking with it, though the next cooks on the docket are not L&S in the WSK, so I might not even be filling the new basket in the near future.

Here are some photos!

As I mentioned earlier, there’s no good way to easily remove the basket from the lower position.

First, those of us with the three position grill straps will notice the tabs for the middle position makes removing the basket quickly while hit somewhat difficult:

IMG_2531.jpeg

Also, the piece that supports the deflector plate blocks the handles entirely and traps the basket in the lower position:

IMG_2535.jpeg
IMG_2533.jpeg

I forgot to take a picture, but the original charcoal grate can be placed in the upper position over the basket and use to sear similar to how @DanHoo showed with the drop spider setup in his BGE.

One surprise after fiddling around was that the basket sits perfectly in the upper position in place of the deflector plate or original charcoal grate, without interfering with the cooking grate at all, but there’s no easy to way raise the basket while lit without removing and then replacing the middle portion, which would be nice and hot if you tried to do it midcook:

IMG_2524.jpeg
IMG_2526.jpeg
IMG_2525.jpeg

Thanks for the pictures @Michael Chen

Sounds like they did a great job making this.

On my BGE KAB, I've never moved it hot. It's good to know it will work upper or lower levels.

Another idea for reverse sear is to use an 18 inch grate on the upper level coal rack with coals at the bottom, like this.

20230722_193602.jpg

For some reason I thought you were wondering if it was easy to raise the basket while it was lit 😅

My brain clearly works really well in the summer. Lowering the food makes so much more sense. 🙃

Lol. That would be cool.

Just curious about versatility. Being able to use the KAB at both coal levels has flexibility.

I have moved lit char baskets from the lower level to the upper level and it was a pain.

I keep forgetting to take pictures of the basket in action, but here are some things I’ve noticed:

If you have the three position grill straps in your bowl, the middle position tends to catch on the KAB and make it difficult to insert and remove the basket.

When placed in the upper position, while the KAB does not hit the KillaGrilla grate from the recently-retired Mark Baron shown in the earlier photos, the basket handles DO hit the OEM grate and will lightly push up the two swiveling portions. It’s not enough to cause any real problems, but you cannot spin the OEM cooking grate freely when the basket is in the upper position.

Here’s a screenshot from a short video clip this morning:

IMG_3232.jpeg

Back