KFC with the Vortex

Matt Rector

TVWBB Pro
Got my new Vortex and decided "Kettle Fried Chicken" was a good first cook. Brined overnight with a salt and sugar brine. Double dipped, flour, egg and milk, then seasoned breading.

IMG_0200[1].JPG

IMG_0197[2].JPG
I can tell this thing will really pump out the heat, so I was careful not to overheat. Wanting to run at about 400.

IMG_0205[1].JPG

You can see my top vent is almost closed and my bottom is on smoke setting. Used a full chimney, next time I'll use half that.

IMG_0207[1].JPG

After about 30 minutes sprayed them with cooking spray, to get that great golden brown color.

IMG_0211[1].JPG

IMG_0212[1].JPG

IMG_0214[1].JPG

IMG_0215[1].JPG

IMG_0216[1].JPG

Best chicken I've ever had, crispy, moist, flavorful, a real winner! No more fried chicken, always Kettle Fried from now on.

Attachments

• IMG_0197[1].JPG
    IMG_0197[1].JPG
    283 KB · Views: 2
I really feel like the Vortex was second only to the Uber heavy 304 SS baskets (my wife’s son got me for my birthday several years back) for return on investment. I’ve loved it since the first day I used it for wings, still need to do KFC.
Mike, I think the colonel would be jealous!

That is an amazing cook!!!! I am with Tim, I love the vortex but have yet to make Kettle fried chicken with it. I got to remedy that soon!

Back