Kettle Roast

D Livingston

TVWBB Fan
My first recipe post. A little history for this one first. A while back, our local Meijer had some nice looking chuck roasts on sale, so I grabbed a few and chucked them in the freezer, planning on making faux burnt ends. But after doing that with the first, which turned out great, I discovered that the rest of my family just doesn't like burnt ends that much (I know!). There are a few things that I make for dinner that the whole family really likes, and good old traditional Pot Roast in the crock pot has always been one of them. So the next time I pulled one of the chuck roasts out of the freezer, I planned to do that. But then it was such a nice day I really wanted to cook outside, so I decided the pot roast this time would be Kettle Roast. I've made this a few times now, and really like it a lot.

Ingredient list (I don't really measure, so quantities, are not specific):
Chuck Roast - size appropriate for your group
Red Potatoes - quantity appropriate for your group
Carrots - quantity appropriate for your group
Olive Oil
Coarse salt - to taste
Coarse pepper - to taste
Basil

Prep:
Rub chuck roast with salt and pepper to taste, let sit in refrigerator overnight
Pull roast out of refrigerator and let temp come up some while prepping smoker/grill
Get smoker (in my case a Master Touch using snake method) going between 250 & 300 F - I use a combination of hickory and apple wood with the coal
Place roast in smoker/grill (indirect) with thermometer of your choice
Cut Potatoes and carrots into small to medium sized pieces and place in lightly oiled pan (I use disposable aluminum)
Brush potatoes and carrots lightly with olive oil, add salt, pepper, and basil to taste, cover with foil and set aside
When there is roughly 2 hours remaining for the roast, including resting time (judgement based on temp), add the potatoes/carrots to the smoker/grill
Pull roast from smoker/grill when temperature reaches between 180 and 200 F (depending on how tender you want it to be), let rest wrapped in cooler for 0.5-1 hour (or when potatoes are done)
When potatoes and carrots are soft, remove from smoker/grill.
Serve with a good bread, and maybe a salad or steamed broccoli. I put Worcestershire sauce out, but nobody ended up using it.

I don't typically watch time when smoking meat, just temperature. But the last one took about 7 -8 hours, I think.

Pictures include the time we were out of carrots...

y4mtAtTsXfOsKSd9sZbgT4Vc-UVCP0BBlhboyTgFAOgIeit5Abk1xgSuUeNN796U95lTRHg7ACjQiQFyamvcwDxp_8eNhEaNnB-t7n6ZfKxyO3BZuhMcTTasDrGmHfYPwUP8pHuefyDMApOjtTjOxQNUPIsLQ16uzq25jcHbtx5Lhn7gszFhbsSQBcXpy0aCuJLMTnC0E6jEoLKhfSwqWx0MQ

y4m0WqygYgpDKj6QskmCqIsgNHYSzh8a5Hm83RS-LlYEjTOIIK367DU7r5iyCC8Gfo3SXt8Si7mdb6URnazs8EeC-RI3om-rsDDrrpCGPAfcZQy39Ohol67zlt6golE_D0yQ18VL6nkw4EebzP0AN4LUmUwyjtua3HFoa3iIg-gbqJ5s5vxX1wO7hS4jFdQb5LSTU05WCuiQ1dvSYui7uojjA

y4mgLN9p7-KgA-oVksZc-hjphLTSCbelDCipjMHp1CssTVDO4ilRbq-0YgOBi7ijLCHoBmVLC7X6yFRzAAD4_WtAbTdh6wv8GkskI3OBPLUHhG5TEMXqCSDE60IT5WxIGb4DBZCkC1Qu0QxDE1cbNd0qY93stKGJBG0OMfHIQCd-LGxG_KGQFLCjtYRzJW-3SaRMxt0YzPhViAE0XrQk9PF_Q

y4mM3i_IH40i5dnIiuVHBPJuTuOFvu3TZJkXQ6HZ50vS8G0IFBeji2jkr02EEznHicz6kfNO4vrBmEZsXDxvnk_ccBcU8SvWxwRTUtHuROGIzQg3rEToOq5MSe835Kp4MyHLeX4dw7nU__S-6GV418K4-DkUuPSbBmCv_kG1c1QaL6v_N1CL_qblJpu9AUtCWl9p5uuWYwHNin1rqqluPCpcg

Back