Kettle pizza oven

Well, my first foray into KettlePizza land was an unmitigated.....

...disaster!

Not the fault of Al at KettlePizza or the mod in any way, but with my bobbling getting the pizza transferred to the hot stone. I made three pies. The all looked perfect, that is BEFORE they went to the oven.

My problem was that even with LOADS of corn meal I couldn't get the aluminum pizza peel I had under the pie or get the pie off the peel and onto the stone. In my cheapness, I ordered the basic KettlePizza, as I already had two stones and a peel from Costco. The peel looks like a extra large spatula, in stainless, with huge slots. It also had a typical spatula "angle" that made it hard to work with the KettlePizza loading slot.

My first pie bobbled so bad that I turned it over into kind of a Frankenstein calzonne. It was supposed to be the margurite. The second was an Italian salami pie with vegies and the third, the only one that turned out half-way decent, was made with Italian ground sausage and vegies. Pic:

P1000866.JPG

You can see the "offending member" (spatula) to the right. It's now in the recycle bin. I should have gone for the slightly more expensive kit that included a wood peel.

Good things:

1. I did manage to get the temp up over 700 degrees using a mixture of hardwood briquets, hardwood lump and apple (hardwood) chunks. The bad was that I spent precious time screwing around with the pies and lost the best of the higher heat.

2. The dough recipe I used was easy to process and great to work with, though it took more flour than called for. I doubled the recipe to make three pies and added a little whole wheat flour:

http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/homemade_pizza/

3. Using a little olive oil on the dough before adding the sauce worked great to keep the dough from getting soggy.

4. I used Muir Glen Organic pizza sauce (in the can). Great stuff, highly recommended.

This was supposed to be a nice Father's Day pizza fest. It ended up being a little more work than I intended and a disappointment for me (the resident perfectionist), but the family loved the pizza, warts and all. Enough so that they all said they were looking forward to future pies.

So there ya go: the good, the bad and the ugly of my first attempt.

icon_smile.gif
Tony

I just appreciate you trying and posting it. I think you are on the right track by the looks of the crust. Please keep at it and please keep posting. If all goes well I am planning my CI pan pizza tomorrow. So stay tuned. Here's where I will be serving this week.

NVBC Youth Conference

I bought a super peel off my bbq dealer. I figured if I plan on doing a lot pizza why not purchase one. Works great.

Yes, I came across the Super Peel when doing a search for peels and plan on getting one. It looks like a great tool.

Also interesting that the Forno Bravo site says regarding peels that you need two, a large, flat-nosed one to build the pizza on or put it in the oven as well as a round-nosed one to turn it in the oven and to take it out.

I see an advantage (for the homeowner cook) in building the pie on the peel, as you for sure get the size right to fit the peel. However the Super Peel looks like it make the whole process of transferring the pie from assembly-board to the oven a no-brainer. I'm ordering one today!

As for pictures, I think that it's good to fess-up to failures as well as triumphs. That's how we learn. I made a crack last night at dinner that by the time one considers the ingredients, charcoal, etc., Papa Murphy's is cheaper, but just like with my coffee roasting hobby, its a quest for quality and taste, not dollars saved.

Flame on!

I have warped and thrown out about three wooden peels in the past. I bought a metal one this time and it has been a challenge to use it. What I learned is that if you put some semolina or Wondra on it will slide with ease. It worked perfectly last time and the metal is easy to wash. I built the pie on it, turned the pie with it and pulled it off, cut it up and served it on the same peel. Another good idea I have used is to keep a large espatula to turn it with during the cooking process and use it to serve with after the pizza is cut up.

Originally posted by TonyReynolds:
Also interesting that the Forno Bravo site says regarding peels that you need two, a large, flat-nosed one to build the pizza on or put it in the oven as well as a round-nosed one to turn it in the oven and to take it out.
I use a large wooden peel to assemble the pizza and to transfer it into the oven.
I also made an 8" diameter turning/retrieval tool from a cheap aluminum peel. The diameter of this peel must be small for the ease of turning the pizza during the cook.
P1050019.jpg

I think you have a bigger metal peel than mine George. I have a small metal one they sell that works perfect. Nice job, but I think it's good to have the corners on the peel for checking the pizza. Do you use your ci pizza pan anymore?

Originally posted by Shaun R:
I think you have a bigger metal peel than mine George. I have a small metal one they sell that works perfect. Nice job, but I think it's good to have the corners on the peel for checking the pizza. Do you use your ci pizza pan anymore?
Sure, I still use it regularly, but mostly for other things on the stove top.
But I occasionally use it for pizza on the kettle.

Yeah, I made chorizo and eggs on the Weber the other day with mine. It worked great and it heated the tortilas in seconds.

Originally posted by Greg Rodenhiser:
I always use something called ZaGrill to grill our pizzas.... I've used it on both gas and charcoal grills and after several years still works AWESOME.... Not trying to be an ad, I don't work for them or anything, just a happy customer....

http://www.google.com/#q=zagri...11f&biw=1313&bih=784
It looks interesting Greg. Can you please post a picture of one you made. I am interested to see it in action. Thanks!

Originally posted by TonyReynolds:
Well, my first foray into KettlePizza land was an unmitigated.... ...disaster!
Tony, your pizzas looked *much* better than my first attempts using a peel. I didn't even post about them, just scraped the remains into the garbage and went back to using a pan until I had a chance to get some more practice. The dough ended up as a long skinny accordion-pleated pile, and the toppings either fell into the coals or turned black on the stone depending on how round-ish and heavy they were (heavy toppings rolled further).

BTW it occurred to me on the drive home that with the oven insert in place I could use the vertical roaster thingy I bought a couple of years ago but couldn't use because the chicken hit the top of the lid. Fired it up with some briquettes and...

DSCN3179.jpg

Hey, it worked ! Moving the lid up seems to have helped the rest of the chicken cook more evenly as well, so for the first time the thighs were cooked before the breasts dried out.

Originally posted by John Bridgman:

BTW it occurred to me on the drive home that with the oven insert in place I could use the vertical roaster thingy I bought a couple of years ago but couldn't use because the chicken hit the top of the lid. Fired it up with some briquettes and...

Hey, it worked ! Moving the lid up helped the rest of the chicken cook more evenly as well, so for the first time the thighs were cooked before the breasts dried out.

Will try to add pics later, right now internet connection is mega-slow.
You go John! I too am trying some new things using the pizza setup. I will post as well.
icon_wink.gif

You can see the "offending member" (spatula) to the right. It's now in the recycle bin. I should have gone for the slightly more expensive kit that included a wood peel.
If the recycle truck hasn't come yet and you can get hands on a round file it might be worth trying to bevel the ends of the slots at a 45 degree angle so the pizza doesn't hang up there. Just a guess though...

That looks GRRRRREAT!

I have the Weber rotiserrie ring and use it to the same effect, but with just a beer can...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">You can see the "offending member" (spatula) to the right. It's now in the recycle bin. I should have gone for the slightly more expensive kit that included a wood peel.
If the recycle truck hasn't come yet and you can get hands on a round file it might be worth trying to bevel the ends of the slots at a 45 degree angle so the pizza doesn't hang up there. Just a guess though... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nope, too late...

However, I DID order a Super Peel in ash and am very excited it should be here this next week. That with a small, 8" round peel for turning and removal will be all I need. A friend gave me a gift of a very nice, wood, 14x16 round-nose peel this morning, so I'll be set for peels for awhile.

Back