Kettle pizza oven ?

I raise my pizza stone (on the OTG) up on top of two firebricks for a "pizza oven". It works beautifully, the only additional equipment needed is the two fire bricks and a pizza stone.

PizzaStoneSetUp-1210_1600x1200.jpg
PizzaStoneSetUp-1210_1600x1200.jpg

I believe I posted this before, but I couldn't find it. A couple of days ago, I thawed a frozen pizza (plain 4 cheese Red Baron) added pepperoni and pineapple and it was GOOD! Raising the pizza stone lets the top cook at the same rate as the bottom. The results are very much like a wood fired pizza oven. It takes 8 minutes after pre-heating the stone (15-20 minutes). I just dump a chimney full of lit charcoal spread evenly in the bottom of the kettle, set up the bricks and stone, pre-heat and go to it. I like a bit of smoke so throw a couple handfuls of wet chips on the coals while the stone is pre-heating.

I have an aluminum peel and since I have full access without the lid, I just grab hold of the far edge of the pizza and slide it onto the stone (after sprinkling corn meal on the top of the stone -I also have corn meal on top of the peel to keep the pizza from sticking). I close the lid and bake for 8 minutes and it is cooked evenly top and bottom with all cheese properly melted and the edges of the pepperoni lightly toasted. The time frame is short enough to cook several in a row if needed.

When the pizza is done, I place the peel in position and grap hold of the near side with tongs and lift it to check for browning, then using the tongs, I just slide the pizza off onto the peel.

I consider it a near perfect set up.

I plan on making my own pizza dough in a few days. I'll photograph it along with the finished pizza.

Dale53

Last edited:
That is a great setup! Have you had a chance to measure your temperatures there? Either in the dome or using an IR gun to check the stone? Just out of curiosity, mind you. Getting the heat on the pizza is the key. Raising the pizza into the dome is a great way to do that inexpensively. Looking forward to seeing your photos of the finished pizza soon!

My wife bought 5 pounds of mozzarella last time we went to the store, so I'm pretty sure pizza is on her agenda in the near future too!

Robert

I had to read through your post to be sure I hadn't posted earlier. I use an identical setup. Have been messing around with premade dough and still ironing out the kinks as far as timimg. Regardless, the end product has been great.

Les Stubby

Les;
My first pizza trials were less than perfect (to say the least). I put the pizza directly on the cooking grate and the bottom was well on the way to burning (after only 2 minutes) and the top was still cold. I did a bit of thinking. Then, realizing that heat rises, just raised the stone up the height of the fire brick and VOILA! balance was attained. I already had the fire bricks at hand (when I cook indirect I dump the coals behind the bricks to hold them in place). Further, by containing a full chimney behind the bricks it raises the fire up to nearly touching the cooking grate for a VERY hot fire for searing burgers, steaks, chops, and loin, etc before finishing, if necessary, with indirect. Those fire bricks are about the best $4.00 a person can spend for a OTG.

FWIW
Dale53

Les;
My first pizza trials were less than perfect (to say the least). I put the pizza directly on the cooking grate and the bottom was well on the way to burning (after only 2 minutes) and the top was still cold. I did a bit of thinking. Then, realizing that heat rises, just raised the stone up the height of the fire brick and VOILA! balance was attained.

I will hit the home made pizza crust in a few days. Sunday, I am smoking RIBS!!

FWIW
Dale53

I also have been making pizza with the fire bricks,
I found they work grate, i use 3 laid out in thirds of the pizza stone
Kind of like a peace sign. It seamed more stable.

I also had gotten the kettle pizza attachment.
This also makes really good pizza and looks cool.
The oven gets hotter in the kettle pizza oven and thats a good thing.

But 3 fire bricks are a whole lot cheaper, and that also is a good thing.

Good luck

I bought a couple of used kettles this weekend with the specific intent of making a pizza cover. I have a round stone. Should I use some low or fireblocks laid on their sides to raise the stone slightly?

I use them lying on there sides, as shown in the photo at the top of the page
The idea is to get the pies as high up as you can, that is where the high heat is.

The problem we are trying to solve is that having the stone on the grate,
the crust burns before the toppings are done.

Good luck

"The problem we are trying to solve is that having the stone on the grate,
the crust burns before the toppings are done"

Paul VW: Well build the fire around the edges of the bowl/stone. Preheat´n´cook. Work pretty good. Atleased for 2-3 pizzas in a row.(5 min rehet between em) If you are doing many maby need a more solid fire.

Back