Kettle on last leg, but hey, what's that in the weeds?

Alan D

TVWBB Super Fan
My trusty 22 1/2" Kettle is starting to fall apart, the one-touch lever is loosing one of the wings and the inside is finally weakening.

I'm on my 3rd grill and 2nd coal grate, bought it when me and my wife first got married...*weep*

Well, I recently am renting a small yard in Morgan Hill and the previous renter left a bunch of stuff around, and low and behold what is that I see over in the weeds???

mh-weber.jpg

The weber is actually worth more to me than the abandoned trailer! *lol*

Sometimes it seems there's someone watching out for us at times...one man's trash...

Looks pretty good, has a grey plastic handle (my old one has wood). I think it's an 18 1/2", but not sure...when I get back there and clean things up I'll have to drag it out...

You can get parts for your old grill. I have one that is probably 30 years old that is still kicking. However the handles are starting to get very weak to the point that they are about to snap off at the welds. I did get a new ash sweeper a couple of years ago because I'm sure it was a lot like yours is now. Funny part is the outside of the grill is Gray looking from the sun fadding it and the inside is a black as it was originally. I actually give it a good cleaning once a year with oven cleaner and it is amazing how clean it comes out. Two years ago it became the official shop grill where I work because I already have a few others at home. Nice find BTW. Vince

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
Well, I recently am renting a small yard in Morgan Hill and the previous renter left a bunch of stuff around, and low and behold what is that I see over in the weeds???
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Alan, Hi from San Jose, looks like we're neighbors.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
Looks pretty good, has a grey plastic handle (my old one has wood). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Keep those wood handles. I find the plastic lid handle gets too hot to handle. Maybe I'm a big wuss, but if I had old wood handls, I'd replace the plastic one.

Vince,

Is there a retrofit to get a new one-touch and fit it into the kettle? That seemed to be some type of gromet or rivet. I have bought a lot of parts for it, an ash tray, and the one I just found doesn't have the ash tray either. It is in pretty good shape, although was sitting out for some time.

Scott,

If your in San Jose, we are neighbors. Sorry for the slow reply, been kinda busy.

My daughter did some splatched cornish hens last week, was tasty! She used the 22 1/2" kettle.

Cheers,
Alan

There is indeed a retro-fit or replacement for the one-touch cleaning system. I've replaced the one in my original kettle and I replaced the one on the Red Performer I bought off CL last fall.

It's a pretty easy fix: I use a dremmel tool to cut off the sweeper handle right up next to the big nut that holds the sweeper blades, then the new one just pops in. They replacement one touch parts are about $10 from Weber plus reasonable shipping. If you need any other parts order them at the same time since I believe that shipping is flat rate.

Sounds to me like you can keep your "old" Weber AND have a "new" old Weber from the weeds!

Pat

I have never put a weber to the curb. The first one I ever bought is at my dad's house. The legs have long since fallen off. What we did was make a small ring of bricks and put the kettle on top of the bricks. Works great and when you're done you can dump the coals into the ring of bricks, throw some wood on top, and you have an instant fire pit. We have actually built fires under the kettle in the ring of bricks and used the kettle simply as a cooking vessel for big turkeys.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Alan D:
Vince,

Is there a retrofit to get a new one-touch and fit it into the kettle? That seemed to be some type of gromet or rivet. I have bought a lot of parts for it, an ash tray, and the one I just found doesn't have the ash tray either. It is in pretty good shape, although was sitting out for some time.
Alan </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am unaware of being able to update from one system to the other. Hopefully Pat will post some pictures for us. See comment below.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pat Smith:
There is indeed a retro-fit or replacement for the one-touch cleaning system. I've replaced the one in my original kettle and I replaced the one on the Red Performer I bought off CL last fall.

It's a pretty easy fix: I use a dremmel tool to cut off the sweeper handle right up next to the big nut that holds the sweeper blades, then the new one just pops in. They replacement one touch parts are about $10 from Weber plus reasonable shipping. If you need any other parts order them at the same time since I believe that shipping is flat rate.

Sounds to me like you can keep your "old" Weber AND have a "new" old Weber from the weeds!

Pat </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think the one touch system is different then what I have. Do you have any pic's of the conversion? I to had to cut the rivet off. Being in the automotive industry a cut off wheel did the job nicely. I think if someone did not have this a large drill bit and a drill would work as well. I never thought of converting my grill to the new school stuff. Vince

Vince - I am away from home right now, but I can take some pics to show you what I did to replace the one touch system when I get back to Birmingham next week. Do you happen to have any pics of the bottom of your kettle you can post/send?

Thanks,

Pat

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pat Smith:
Vince - I am away from home right now, but I can take some pics to show you what I did to replace the one touch system when I get back to Birmingham next week. Do you happen to have any pics of the bottom of your kettle you can post/send?

Thanks,

Pat </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here are a few pictures of my old kettle. Basically all I replaced was the ash sweeper and the handle. Vince
IMG_5447.jpg

IMG_5446.jpg

IMG_5445.jpg

IMG_5444.jpg

Yes, that's the piece I need, the ash sweeper.

One of the wings started to bend loose as it got weak from the heat.

For $10, I'll fix it, most certainly. That 22 1/2" kettle might be going to the grave with me...:)

Yep! You can fix that!

The wing nut that holds the ash sweeper handle in is undoubtedly rusted and will break off if you try to force it (how do I know this?
icon_smile.gif

The way I handle this is to use a Dremmel tool with a cutting wheel to cut the ash sweeper handle off flush with the retaining nut.

That will release the ash sweepers - they whole thing just lifts straight up.

The installation of the new one touch assembly is straightforward as well.

Assemble the one touch ash sweepers on the retaining nut, push the nut down through the hole in the bottom of the kettle, then insert the ash sweeper handle and screw in the wing nut.

You might consider replacing the wing nut that comes with the one touch kit with a stainless steel model to cut down on the rusting, but you know what, it is so easy to whack off the one touch sweeper handle with a Dremmel, I don't know that I would bother.

Keep that kettle cooking!

Pat

Yep! You can fix that!

The wing nut that holds the ash sweeper handle in is undoubtedly rusted and will break off if you try to force it (how do I know this?
icon_smile.gif
. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
The same way I know it? :-/
Keep that kettle cooking! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
So far I'm doing just that! :)

Back