Keri's Hog-Apple Baked Beans

Going to make Keri's Hog-Apple Baked Beans and was wondering If I can make them early in the day and put them in a baking dish and let them sit until bake time?...and...If I use 2 cans (22oz) each of Bush's Bourbon and Brown Sugar beans Should I cut the Apple Pie filling in half and just use 10oz instead of the 21oz? I'm concerned about to much sweetness with all of the sugar

Gonna make four gallons of these blasted things tonight and vac them up in gallon bags to reheat in the turkey fryer of simmering water for People's Choice at a comp this weekend.

Now THAT'S a lot of beans...
icon_eek.gif

Chuck, I know I'm way late in answering your question above, but I have to admit that I have frequently mixed them up and let them sit out for a few hours - EXCLUDING the meat additions. I keep the meat chilled until time for them to meet the heat.

The other spices seem to counteract a lot of the potential sweetness, but if you're concerned about them being too sweet for your taste, I think I'd drop the brown sugar down and keep all the apple pie filling. That's your "secret ingredient", after all.
icon_smile.gif
You can always add some of the brown sugar back after you taste the mix. If you have a food processor, dump your apple pie filling in it and give it two quick bumps to break the apples up just a bit. Not enough to make applesauce by any means, but just to chop up the big pieces a little. Makes 'em look more amalgamated with the beans, I think.

Keri C, Hot Wire BBQ
Still smokin' on Tulsa Time

Wow Keri, that's impressive. I could fill a bath tub full of these beans and... well, you know...

Anyway I do have a question for you if you're still buzzing around. I'm hosting a fairly large barbecue and was wondering if you've ever done a vegetarian version of this recipe. I know, I know, you're wondering why on earth there will be vegetarians at a barbecue, but hey, friends are friends.

So, if I omit the bacon would you add anything else to off-set the loss of meaty smoky goodness? I saw Bacon Salt in the grocery store the other day and I've heard it's vegetarian friendly, anyone ever tried the stuff?

Thanks a lot for the great recipe, you rock Keri.

thank you for this recipe. i won the finest chef at my work last fall with these bad boys. i'm bringing these in next week with a couple butts for a food day at the office. my boss told me i should start a catering business.
icon_cool.gif

Keri,

I have a friend who does not eat beef or pork. So I substitute turkey bacon and smoked turkey sausage in your recipe. She is always so happy to have a hot side dish that she can eat.

036.JPG

Another meat-eating friend (& a real foodie) has proclaimed these to be The absolute best BBQ beans.

Thanks for sharing,

Jim

Hi Kari -

I stumbled into this thread from a referral on another website as I searched for a way to jazz up baked beans for a Memorial Day BBQ. I "test drove" the recipe on Saturday. I used turkey bacon and a smoked turkey leg as the "salty."

Girl. Friend. I'm not telling you anything you don't know already. Simply delicious! I didn't understand that all the sweet was needed to balance the heat. I only used 1/4 tsp of the cayanne and left out the brown sugar. My boys don't like spicy.

I am following the recipe exactly as written, as I like the heat. I am confident that everyone at the BBQ will love them as much as my family did.

I'm going to try pulsing the apples in the food processor like you recommended. Also love the idea of using peach, too. So many variations! So many potlucks and BBQs to attend. I think I have a new "signature" dish!

Thanks again, Keri - you rock!

thanks keri for the great bean recipe. i made my first batch for smoke day and they were incredible

I'm glad you all enjoyed them. Kyle, yes, you can make a vegetarian version. Leave out the meat and the bacon, saute the onion and peppers in a bit of olive oil, and add THREE DROPS of
icon_eek.gif
Colgin Apple Liquid Smoke
icon_eek.gif
That gives just the barest hint of smoke flavor, but is not nearly enough to give that "eeeyewwwww" flavor.

Depending on how vegan your friends are, they may or may not eat ANYTHING that is cooked on the same grill with meat. If possible, just put the beans on the top where they can absorb some smoke but not catch drippings. That suits most vegetarians we've fed.

By the way, these do freeze well - particularly in vaccuum bags.

Keri C

Did the recipe today.

WOW! What a great response (from everyone who had some). Easy, quick, and layers of flavor. What a great recipe.

"It's like a great kiss and then "bam" a punch in the mouth with a little attitude."

- Best description my brother in law and I could come up with about this recipe.

While I've done a couple of changes in the recipe, I make these about every three weeks and no one complains, they just keep eating them. Use them as a side dish, for chili dogs and frito pie and even entered them as a second chili (with plenty of extra pulled pork and bacon) in a local contest and they finished 2nd place (ahead of the first chili I entered.) Great recipe and the apple and chipolte always leaves people guessing.

Made these this passed weekend for a bachelor party with about 8 of my friends. I trimmed spare ribs into St louis ribs and smoked the trim for about 6 hours and used that in my beans. Awesome recipe thanks!

Made these for a family gathering last week, and a carry in party at work. Needless to say I don't have a single bean left over. Everybody devoured them and then wanted the recipe.

Hello everyone,

I am finally going to try Keri's beans for my July 4th picnic! One question, I see no reason you could not put these beans together a couple days ahead of time and ready for the smoker or oven, as long as they are kept in the fridge. Any thoughts of why this would be a bad idea?

Thanks,
Kevin

I make these ahead of time whenever I cook for a party. I mix them up, store in 2 gallon ziploc in cooler, then transfer to aluminum pan to heat up. Never had a problem and always a big hit.

Keri's Hog-Apple Baked Beans

3 or 4 slices bacon, diced
2 (16 oz) cans pork and beans, mostly drained (modified to 2 28-oz cans Bush's Baked Beans - see note below)
1/2 c. Blues Hog BBQ Sauce (or other sweet-spicy favorite)
1 lb. smoked leftover smoked pork or beef, more or less, or 1 lb crumbled cooked pork sausage
1 can apple pie filling (chop up the big chunks some)
1 medium onion, chopped
1/2 green pepper, chopped
1/2 c. brown sugar
2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
2 Tbsp. Mustard (prepared)
1 tsp chipotle or cayenne powder (optional, to taste*)
1 tsp Blues Hog barbecue rub (or your favorite de jour)

I have the honor of making beans for our family picnic this Saturday. I've read so many compliments about these beans but I have a few questions about the ingredients.

1) I don't have any left over beef or pork from my previous smokes and I'm not crazy about all the fat from sausage. Does it affect the flavor a great deal leaving the meat out of the recipe?

2) Some of my family is not crazy about apples so again will it affect the flavor or texture leaving the apple filling out?

3) I plan on using my smoker or my gas grill for the beans. What is the time frame for the bean cook?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by Evan T:

I have the honor of making beans for our family picnic this Saturday. I've read so many compliments about these beans but I have a few questions about the ingredients.

1) I don't have any left over beef or pork from my previous smokes and I'm not crazy about all the fat from sausage. Does it affect the flavor a great deal leaving the meat out of the recipe?

2) Some of my family is not crazy about apples so again will it affect the flavor or texture leaving the apple filling out?

3) I plan on using my smoker or my gas grill for the beans. What is the time frame for the bean cook?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
icon_smile.gif

I think it would be ok w/o the meat, even ground beef would be ok other than sausage. That being said, I think the apples are really what make this recipe. However, w/o the apples and meat it's still going to be pretty good beans. Just not great beans.

The sausage is a good touch. Brown it first in another skillet and drain it well and it'll not add any appreciable fat to the recipe. As for cooking time, all the ingredients are essentially cooked prior to combining, so there's really no minimum cook time. If you put on the smoker at 225-250, they could easily cook 2 hours or better with no harm. I usually bake for 1 to 1-1/2 hours in the oven. Just monitor them occasionally to make sure they don't dry out and you'll be fine.

I know it's too late for a holiday cook, Evan, but I'm going to answer you anyway. Yes, you can leave the meat out completely if you wish, and even use browned, drained, and rinsed lean ground beef if you'd like a meat content without adding much fat. As far as the fruit, I've used peach pie filling and it works just as well. Jack's Old South BBQ used peach pie filling in theirs. Just be sure to chop up the fruit some - these days I like to dump the can of pie filling in the food processor and bump the button 3 times which puts a very rough chop. Getting the pieces of fruit down to nearer the size of the beans lets the fruit blend in visually better with the beans but you still get the flavor.

Hope they turned out okay - tweak it and make it your own.

Regards,
Keri C, Hot Wire BBQ
Still Smokin' on Tulsa Time

First time poster here. Very cool forum and I plan on becoming involved.

I haven't tried Keri's beans yet, but am planning to this weekend. They sound wonderful.

I also have a bean recipe that gets "those are the best beans I have ever tried" comments everytime I make them. I haven't entered any competitions or anything like that, but usually have alot of people asking for the recipe after they try them. I'm not one of these Top Secret guys, I am more than willing to share the recipe, after all I thing great food should be shared so all can enjoy!

That being said, here is my recipe for awesome beans!

Mikes Cowboy Beans

1 lb lean burger, browned and drained
1 onion, chopped, sauteed with burger
1/2 lb (or more) cooked bacon ends and pieces
1 package Hillshire Farms little smokies
1/2 cup ketchup
1 tbsp mustard
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 tbsp liquid smoke
2 cans pork and beans
1 can beans of your choice (Pinto, Kidney, Great Northern, Lima)

Brown burger with onion. Fry bacon. Add all ingredients and mix well. Cook in crock pot or slow cooker for 4 hours or more.

Hope you guys enjoy. I'm sure I'm going to LOVE Keri's!

Back