Keeping it Simple..

Dan Krause

TVWBB Fan
This has been a hard lesson for me to learn and one that I still have a hard time believing.

I made some ribs in the oven yesterday. I know sacrilege, but due to my work schedule it was the best I could do.

I had my wife start the ribs for me while I was at work. I had a premade "rub" that she applied just before sticking the ribns in the oven at 275F. This is where keeping it simple concept comes into play. The rub was a simple 50/50 mix of salt and pepper with very little garlic, rosemary, and cayenne pepper powder added. I did this on purpose to highlight the pork flavor of the ribs and not hide it in a complex rub. The ribs baked in the oven for 2 hours.

At the 2 hour mark I foiled the ribs with a little melted butter and cider vinegar. They went back into the oven at 325F meaty side down for another 2 hours.

I made up a batch of good old No. 5 BBQ sauce (thank you TVWBB). At the 2 hour mark, I pulled the ribs from the oven and un-foiled them. I put a thin layer sauce on them and put them back in the oven at 425F for about 8 minutes, just long enough to set the sauce.

These ribs were great, amazing pork flavor, and good texture. The one aspect I really liked was that the outer top skin of the ribs were really crispy , almost fried; I believe due to the higher temps and the butter, while it was still very tender in the center. Additionally, using very few ingredients really did bring out the pork flavor.

My only complaint was a lack of smoke flavor, but I can easily replicate this entire process on the WSM and get that great smokey flavor.

I thought I had made enough for lunch the next day, but the wife was having none of that and together we polished off the whole rack.

This is not the first time that a simpler approach to BBQ has resulted in tastier results for me. My beef brisket and pulled porked both benefitted greatly from simplification.

Anyone else have examples where the KISS (Keep It Simple Stu... ) principle has worked for you?

and not hide it in a complex rub
Imo, if pork flavor is 'being hidden' (or the beef flavor of steaks, chuck or brisket, for that matter) then the rub is either poorly made or it is not being applied correctly, often both. Personally, I loathe salt-and-pepper-only and similar. (If I liked this I would like commercial barbecue in Texas; I don't.) Two bites and I'm bored.

On a different level I do not like ribs sauced while they are cooking. The masking flavor possibility (let alone ruining, imo, the surface texture of the bark/meat) is greater.

But everyone's taste is different.

Unfortunately, my son-in-law is just not interested in charcoal cooking.
When visiting them, they beg for "bbq" ribs.
I rub, with a commercial rub, wrap in foil, cook for an hour in 350 oven.
if the pull-back from the bones looks good, then i move them to his gasser.
I do make a smoke pouch and throw it on his burners, get the grill good and hot and put the ribs on to "harden."
They really think that this is real bbq.
Well, it's good that they like it.
I find it kind of mushy, but acceptable.

I'm not sure I'd call a three step process really simple. I put a rub on my ribs and put them on the smoker until they're done to my satisfaction. But my standards may not be as high as some here.

Another really simple recipe I like is beef back ribs seasoned with salt and pepper and cooked indirect on a kettle. They come out really good!

Another vote for a simple salt/pepper rub on ribs.
Tryed this for the first time yesterday. Really Really good. Great pork/smoke flavour. I think i have used to mutch of any rub on my ribs before. And then masking the real pork flavour just like Kevin said.

Keep it simple is the way to go for me in the future.

A little late but here is a pic of the ribs:

IMAG0021.jpg

I like the kiss method.

All you need for great ribs are:

meat
fire
rub

What you do not need:
boil
foil
sauce

(IMO sauce covers up the pork taste more than a rub does but there are many people who swear by sauce)

i just use the basics. tried all the whiz bang stuff and it some how just didn't grab me. don't get me wrong, it was good but just not my taste. might be boring to others. sauce is good for those that need that extra oomph.

Back