KCBS comps should supply meat

Scott,

I have competed in 2 of the Guinea Pig comps in So-Cal. All the meat is supplied and it does not level the playing field. If anything at all, it slants the advantage to the more experienced teams. Sure we all start with the same meats but remember, your meat is being supplied to you. You have to trim it on site and cant pick your "normal" cut of meat and spend some quality time at home prepping it. The teams that have been cooking for ages simply take their meat, prep it perfectly because they have years and years more experience. They use their normal rubs and injections and then get some sleep. They arise at the exact time they do at every other comp and cook it perfectly. Then it is followed by a perfectly built and arranged box and lands in the judges hands at the exact time they planned.

The less experienced teams (us and many others) are thrown into crunch mode as we now have the added pressure of trimming on site in addition to all the other things we have to get done. We follow processes to minimize "mishaps" but frankly no amount of practice and processes can replace the knowledge gained from 100's of comps. Most teams need a lot of things to go right to turn in 4 quality boxes. The great teams do this every single time. They are not great because of what they are cooking. They are great because of how they are cooking.

I love the Guinea Pig and will be back again next year as it is an awesome format and a great event. Hopefully we will do much better next year. I can tell you this, it wont be because of the meat.

Mike

Scott,

I see that Burnin' and Lootin' (TVWBB member JerryA), whom I made mention of in my post, has his site set up in Bentonville for the Sams Club Finals. Just a "small" contests... ;) Something like a $150,000 prize purse !

Wishing Jerry, Lupe, and team Burnin' and Lootin', BBQ Excellence in Bentonville !!!

Scott, I hear you, BUT...

1) I tried not using the term "they're not making you enter" so they should not be responsible for paying for entrants meat. Let's say they were...then the cost for every cook off would be an unknown. That's not good business sense. They would have to limit the numbers of entrees. Let's say 50 teams. They can dictate that ONLY the Team Leader (no proxy) can sign up and they have to do it IN PERSON. What would the contest become if the best cooks showed up late and could not enter? Sure, others would have a better chance, but the stars won't be there to draw in the customers. Sponsors aren't there for charity.

2) While you may be willing to pay more doesn't mean everyone would. I know I will never enter one (not interested). I'm certain that for some the price is already too steep. There are probably a million unsung BBQ heroes out there that we will never know about.

3) No matter how you look at it, competition is still a CHOICE. Feeding your family is a REQUIREMENT. But yeah, family first. :)

Later...

Chris, thanks for the reply(very informative - not long winded). Still it seems kind of odd that the judges are basing their decisions on someone else's predetermined tastes/texture. Instead of what they really like. Example: If most people like fall of the bone then why is bite through the gold standard? Interesting information thanks again for posting.

Chris

Chris, thanks for the reply(very informative - not long winded). Still it seems kind of odd that the judges are basing their decisions on someone else's predetermined tastes/texture. Instead of what they really like. Example: If most people like fall of the bone then why is bite through the gold standard? Interesting information thanks again for posting.
Tenderness is the area where KCBS gives the most guidance. Appearance and taste are more personal and subjective, but you're asked to judge what's put in front of you, not what you prefer. For example, if you like baby back ribs with a sweet tomato based sauce but a team submits spareribs with a mustard based sauce, you're supposed to judge how good those mustard based spareribs are, from 2 for inedible to 9 for excellent. You're not supposed to mark them down because you prefer something else.

Chris

Hi Chris,

We judges can not judge using any preconceived notions regarding appearance, taste, and texture. As it should be, there are no guidelines nor regulations for taste. There are some guidelines for texture but they are realistic and well thought out, such as the tests for pork and brisket.

Fall off the bone is easily achieved when one overcooks the meat such that the once connective tissue turned gelatin can no longer support or bind the muscle filaments. As such, the meat fibre just falls apart. During competitions, we generally see meat texture that is just short of fall off the bone. The meat should come off the bone cleanly ! This can only be achieved if cooked to the point when most of the connective tissue has gone thru the denaturing process and has turned into gelatin. This is not that far from being fall off the bone !

I personally think most people would love the texture of the meat we judge. Problem is that those same persons would be hard pressed to achieve that level of texture. Teams compete to get it just right.

Bob

Last edited:
Bob, Chris thanks again. I guess I won't become a judge anytime to soon. Honestly I would be more inclined to judge comps as I do restaurants.

Chris

I have begun competing in South Carolina Barbeque Association events. At the SCBA events the event hosts are required to supply the meat. ( these are however pork only events ). In these events each competitor is provided a case of 8 pork butts, all from the same source. And every now and then there cases that cause you to dig deep into the bag of tricks to make a presentable box. I like it that way myself as it really puts the focus on cooking skills. I know that if I got a week case of butts, the reigning champ probably did too.

The entry fee's are generally the same as KCBS events too. We average probably $250 +/- entry fee to compete. The trade off is that we generally commit to serving the remaining product to the public.

All that said, I have no issues with the KCBS system,,,,,, just adding my two cents as it is directly inline with the OP's thoughts.

Back