KCBS Chicken trends

DavidB-CA

Turn in boxes were mainly thighs at BBQ comps. I am starting to see chicken legs more frequently now. The last comp i judged my first wing box. My thoughts on the three types. Thighs and legs can be presented easier than wings. The wing box was not as full and appearance scores took a hit. What do you think of the three types?

I don't know about BBQ comps, but wings have gotten outrageous at the grocery. Legs are a much better deal price wise. I remember fighting with my siblings over who got a leg when we were kids. Chicken wings used to be cheap and no one wanted thighs. How things have changed.

David, first off... Welcome to TVWBB family !
On the subject of chicken... Chicken breast has been done but only once have I totally enjoyed it.
On the subject of appearance of the meat... Box Fullness is not to be considered in the appearance score.

I have competed with all three. The judges still seem to go with thighs, but I switched to legs last year. They are a lot easier to prep. I also tried wings and displayed them in a star pattern. The key is to remove one of the bones in the flats, and a butter bath is the chickens best friend!
Still trying to figure out this game…
IMG_5676.jpegIMG_5678.jpegIMG_5670.jpegIMG_1634.jpegIMG_3922.jpegIMG_2015.jpeg

David, first off... Welcome to TVWBB family !
On the subject of chicken... Chicken breast has been done but only once have I totally enjoyed it.
On the subject of appearance of the meat... Box Fullness is not to be considered in the appearance score.
First of all, 9’s for appearance for all your boxes. My friend turned in pulled chicken breast at a comp that was easily a 9 for taste and texture, but judges have never seen that before so they downgraded the box for appearance which seemed like comparison to me rather than judging each box on its own merits. Reps should remind judges of this during the judges meeting.

Waaaayyy down south in Texas, IBCA is half chickens only. But more CBA events are popping up and pretty much anything goes. Lots of teams are turning in a combo of legs and wings. Letting the judges decide what they want to sample. I tend to like CBA more as they have 1hr turn ins and I can do burnt ends which seem to be better received than my slices. Since everyone loves a photo, this was the sky a couple weeks back at an IBCA. Tenth overall for the fat man that day. IMG20240405195644.jpg

Back