KC strip loin temp question

Scott Terril

TVWBB Member
I picked up a 10# KC strip loin that I am going to Q next weekend. I was going to use Chris's herb paste from his rib roast recipe, slow smoke it until it is still pretty rare, disassemble the WSM and braise it on all sides, slice it into steaks, and finish them on the grill to individual likes. The question is at what temperature should I pull it to braise? I was thinking about 110. At 10 pounds, what would that be? About 3 or 4 hours?

What do you guys think?

Thanks.

Scott

I'm going to take apart the WSM and set the grate right on top of the charcoal ring. Chris showed pictures in his tenderloin recipe in the cooking section.

Scott

In cook-speak to braise means to cook in liquid. What you'll be doing is searing on all sides.

If your plan is to cut then finish on the grill then I'd go no higher than 100. After searing the roast should rest 20-30 min before you cut it for grilling.

How long it will take to hit your target internal during the smoking phase will depend on cook temp and temp of the roast when it is placed in the cooker.

Thanks Kevin! I was hoping you would weigh-in with a temperature question. Sorry about the incorrect terminology. I thought braise sounded wrong, but I just couldn't come up with sear. I guess dememtia starts setting in about 42.

So for the resting period, would you double wrap it tightly in foil and put it in a cooler or just lightly tent it in foil?

I plan on smoking it at the standard 225 to 250 range, and plan on leaving it out 1 to 2 hours before putting it on the smoker. I am totally open to suggestions however. I'm thinking maybe a couple of hours to reach 100 degrees?

Thanks.

Scott

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I guess dememtia starts setting in about 42. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I know, believe me. I'm in the middle of an online epistomological discussion and have to keep pausing as I type to remember the correct derivations. It's a bit taxing!

Yes, I would think that timing is about right.

Though I've cooked whole striploins I have never smoked then seared then cut then grilled. I'm quite interested both in how the process goes for you and in how satisfied you are with the results. Good luck with the cook!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scott Terril:
I guess dememtia starts setting in about 42. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dememtia, dementia... One of those.
icon_wink.gif
You actually were just trying to say you were going to disassemble the WSM to use it as a brazier.

It'd be kinda bulky to be usin' as a brazziere wuddin it? An evrybody knows he'd need two ta do that sorda thing. Not that there's anythin' wrong wid dat. Just seems kinda weird ta me. That's all I'm sayin'.
icon_confused.gif

Episdemialogi-what!!! Oh, looked it up. I knew I knew that, ya know!?
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">It'd be kinda bulky to be usin' as a brazziere wuddin it? An evrybody knows he'd need two ta do that sorda thing. Not that there's anythin' wrong wid dat. Just seems kinda weird ta me. That's all I'm sayin'. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You would probably have to take the legs off the bottom section. Didn't Madonna wear something like that on one of her tours?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Though I've cooked whole striploins I have never smoked then seared then cut then grilled. I'm quite interested both in how the process goes for you and in how satisfied you are with the results. Good luck with the cook!
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Kevin, I was talking to my neighbor about smoking the strip loin, and he was the one who recommended slicing it and finishing it on the grill. He said he has done it quite a few times with KC strip and ribeye loins and his family raves about them. I guess I am kind of combining three recipes. Chris's tenderloin and prime rib roast recipe, and my neighbor's slicing and grilling.

I will definitely let you know how it goes.

Scott

Back