Just wondering?

Bruce

TVWBB 2-Star Olympian
I was sitting here wondering about something. I was wondering what would happen if Weber came out and restarted production of exact or nearly exact duplicates of the Silver B or even Genesis 1000? I wonder how they would sell and what kind of price tag they would have?
They are proven designs and really quite simple really which I would think would allow them to manufacture them at an even lower cost than the newer three burner grills.
I really don't know of any thing about the new grills that makes them "better" than the older ones. Do they cook better or last longer? Is maintenance easier and less expensive?
I am talking about the basic, non-cabinet, style grills both old and new.

What do you guys think? Would people buy them provided Weber didn't try to take advantage and increase the profit margin over what they have on the newer grills?

I am definitely not a coal burner guy, but it seems that basic Weber kettles are essentially the same as they were 50 years ago. Even the performers and Premiums seem to be the same basic kettle with upgrades. Why not offer the Silver B at an entry level price? That would probably do away with the Spirit line altogether which I don't have an issue with.

I think they would only sell to Weber fans that way. The old Genesis grills look dated (I happen to like them, but then I also really like 80’s sports cars too). I don’t think casual shoppers will be interested, as they get taken in with the aesthetic of modern grills more than real functionality

Good rehabs seem to be in demand. It just seems Weber could put out a duplicate of a basic Silver A that would price below what the Spirits cost today.
But, then, that would really hurt my rehab hobby, so I am not advocating them to do this. I am just wondering why they felt the need to totally get away from something that was such a success for them.

Bruce: I think a return to the E-W burner configuration would be great on any model. Unfortunately, the quality of the steel used now would not be as robust as the grills we use now. Newer Webers are now so lightweight. Also, if Weber gets all the bugs out of the SmokeFire, that would hurt regular gas grills as the customer base gets used to the set it and forget it technology. I like PC computers, but hate Laptops, smartphones, and tablets.

I think they would only sell to Weber fans that way. The old Genesis grills look dated (I happen to like them, but then I also really like 80’s sports cars too). I don’t think casual shoppers will be interested, as they get taken in with the aesthetic of modern grills more than real functionality

I'd like to think there would be a market for the "new vintage" models but I'm afraid Paul is probably correct and the general public just wouldn't be interested.

But this IS a little bit similar to what Gillette did recently. They reintroduced a razor of the old double edge or DE design that dominated the market for decades and that some men (including me) continue to prefer. A limited run of that razor. The general thought is they are testing the waters to see if there's a market for the old DE design.

But the difference between razors and grills is that there is already a fairly large market for new razors of the old DE design and multiple small manufacturers already making those razors. I'm afraid there just aren't enough of us out there that prefer the old design gas grills for it to be profitable for Weber even in a limited run.

Last edited:
Good rehabs seem to be in demand. It just seems Weber could put out a duplicate of a basic Silver A that would price below what the Spirits cost today.
But, then, that would really hurt my rehab hobby, so I am not advocating them to do this. I am just wondering why they felt the need to totally get away from something that was such a success for them.

Weber does seem to be getting more nostalgic. Bringing back the "Glen Blue" in a 26" large kettle was a pretty cool move. It sold out in a day. I have to think that Weber must have to stand up and take notice of that. (See posts in the kettle section.) I have to believe bringing back yellow and avocado kettles can't be too far off :coolkettle: . Extending this idea to gas grills is a little more challenging since, as has been noted by others above, most people seem to gravitate to shiny stainless on their gas grills. Still, the open cart crimson Genesis II does have a number of "throwback" features mixed with modern touches. I have thought that a cool custom touch would be to have wood slats on the bottom and for the sides trays. The side with the burner knobs could be made out of a single piece of wood.

Or use the Silver series frames, modernize/restyle the hood, but still enamel it. Reshape the plastic side/flip up tables and have some new colours. Keep everything else the same as before. 😀

Sure, there could be some small updates, but just so that they were not done to cut corners or costs.

I know it's been said before but if the old genesis 1000 or silver B was put on a stainless steel frame and used all stainless hardware it would really be gas grilling perfection. And if it was marketed right as a true lifetime grill there would probably be a market for it. But I'm sure it will never happen.

There is no reason they could not simply "update" the styling but make it the old way. But too many cry babies said they hated side controls because they lost a shelf. Weber I am sure thought they would pick up consumers from the other guys buy doing this dastardly thing. Instead they made the Genesis "just another grill". From a performance standpoint it does not stand out from the crowd IMO.

A silver B with double swing tables has a ton of shelf space. But, Yah, I guess it is just the idea of the modern look with the knobs on the front.
I swear the vast majority of grill buyers don't even know the significance of E/W vs N/S burners.
I was in Home Depot the other day and there was a couple with a third wheel going from Weber grill to Weber grill checking them all over. I assumed it was a couple with a friend in tow. Anyway, it was clear to me they were there to buy a grill and it was going to be a Weber. It was all I could do to not walk over to them and strike up a conversation. I really just wanted to know what they were looking for and what they planned on buying, but I knew that I would soon be telling them that they could do better than what was on the floor of HD. So, I just walked over to the paint section and got my rattle cans of Rustoleum, checked out with Veterans discount and left the store.

You should have. I do it all the time. If I see someone checking out a mixer I know I have in stock give them a card. When I see ads on FB getting over ambitious I run an ad showing a photo of one of my finished units and an attractive price with the tag line "Don't over pay for someone's used machine with no warranty" Buy something like this example for LESS $$$ and with a full one year written warranty. I get $&*tloads of business from those ads

I agree the old burner configuration was better. And Larry i love your comment about "cry babies"!! There's a lot of truth there. But to the average Joe who isn't a hard core griller and who doesn't rotisserie I'm not sure it makes a huge difference?

My preference for the older grills lies more in their simplicity and ease of maintenance. Plus even though I think the new genesis II grills are pretty well built and light years better than most big box grills they still aren't built like tanks like the older models are.

Greg, that’s well said. I want to do some caliper measurements of the fireboxes from a 1000, Silver, 300 series and Genesis II just to see if this comment we all tend to make can be backed with some empirical data.

I have never been a rotisserie guy, although I do have a desire to learn. Even the first generation Summit had front controls and front to back burners. It didn’t have a rear burner of any type, so not a great choice for rotisserie but highly respected for straight up grilling. So, if a person is ok with that limitation, I do see some nice things about the open cart Special Edition Genesis Ii with a porcelain hood, stainless 9mm grates and stainless flavorizer bars - plus even a nice looking handle light. I looked at one in person at an Ace here in SW suburban Chicago where my wife and I are temporarily staying. It seemed pretty decent to me and the grates were “great” in my estimation. I would rather have a nice first generation Summit but that Genesis II would look nice on my deck, too!:coolkettle:

The EW burner design makes indirect easier as well if you're doing larger stuff, like racks of ribs or a pork loin what have you. The Genesis is too small to fit the rings front to back with the NS burners. Unlike my Wolf where it doesn't matter since it's bigger front to back than a Genesis is wide :D

Good point, Larry, and another reason I do really like the “classic” Genesis burner setup. I had (still do but now just a project) 300 series with the 4th sear burner. I did like grilling with it and for doing my quick recipe for a smaller flat cut brisket in a pan it did indirect very well. But for ribs give me the E-W model.

I do have to say I've watched my brother do indirect heat several times on his 4 burner Genesis II and it seemed like he didn't have any difficulty at all. Even with ribs. But his is a 4 burner and probably has more room/real estate than the standard 3 burner.

I have to say his Genesis II is really nice and seems the equal of my old 1000 in every way. But I still wouldn't trade him. His grill is aging pretty well but I doubt it lasts 30+ years like so many of the older models do.

What I would REALLY like to see is the Genesis B/C with the Red and Blue lids from the 2000’s. That Red and Blue were gorgeous !!! The new Spirit Red lid looks horrible, is an UGLY red color completely off !!! as far I can see ALL the new color Spirit lids are ugly !!!
So yes I would love Weber to bring the Genesis back but only Original color lid and all ss frame if possible.
Also Weber needs to use SS screws for the burners, the ones on the left side on the inside. These will save lots of headaches for the owners later on.
Also specifically the Genesis B/C needs to be about 2 to 3 inch higher same height as the 1000.
Im sure there are few more improvements they can do.

Last edited:

Back