Just some wings

Brad Olson

TVWBB Diamond Member
Ok, so I cheated and started with a bottle of wing sauce but at least I didn't use it straight. ;)

ChickenWings20200616_1.jpg

Both bottles and a package of dressing mix. I've found that when it comes to using Italian dressing as a marinade it pays to go a bit overboard.

ChickenWings20200616_2.jpg

Time for the grill! Since I didn't have all that many wings I used the 22" instead of the 26".

ChickenWings20200616_4.jpg

Sometimes I baste with the leftover marinade (boiled first for safety) and sometimes I don't...this time I did and therefore the wings didn't get really crispy. I built a medium-low direct fire with briquettes only, no wood.

ChickenWings20200616_5.jpg

Using the marinade as a baste really does help boost the flavor, even if it does come at the expense of crispness. The wings definitely had a kick (but one of the ingredients was Tabasco, duh) and I went through several glasses of milk before I was done!

Those look nice! I should try that one day rather than only using the Vortex with dry wings. As a kid, I always drank milk with chili but for some reason abandoned it as an adult. Maybe that's why I use half a roll of paper towels to wipe my head when eating hot wings.

Thanks!

It's never too late to start or resume drinking milk, and IIRC you're not all that far from Young's Jersey Dairy in Yellow Springs - can you find their products in your local stores?

When it comes to something to drink with spicy and/or tomatoey foods (tacos, chili, pizza, etc.) a cold glass of milk (2% or whole) is always my first choice. I'm a lifelong milk drinker and am convinced that it saved me from a more severe injury when I dropped a car engine on my ankle many years ago.

I made wings the other night and I mixed used a marinade/brine the night before. A little water, my homemade rub, raw sugar, salt, Italian dressing, hot sauces, soy sauce, and worcestershire sauce, and a little bbq sauce. The marinade smelled so good and you are right, when I went to grill them the next day the did not crisp up as much but they were tasty. Your look good, my son would have loved to join you with the heat, but I can't do it.

Back