Just rambling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Ir

TVWBB Member
Hello everyone,

Yesterday, I cooked my 2nd brisket. I woke up at 0600 and lit the coals, at 0700, I was smokin'. The WSM performed perfectly using the Minion method. Through the day I was able to moniter the internal temp of the meat and watch those seemingly endless temperature plateaus. I did not plan to use the oven on this cook, as the brisket flat weighed just over 7 lbs. My plan was when I hit 175 internal, mop with Stubb's moppin' sauce, double wrap with foil, and put the meat back on the WSM. @430 (9.5 hours in), the 175 internal was achieved. Monitering the temp, somehow, after I put the meat back on, the Polder registered 172. For the next 1.5 hours the meat never even got back to the 175 in fact, it stayed at 172. So in the oven she went. Although the meat turned out great and everyone was pleased, the next time I do a brisket, or even a butt for that matter I WILL do a overnighter. My question is how long can you keep the meat warm enough to eat for dinner? Can you re-heat it without sacrificeing flavor, or moisture, so you don't waste your overnight efforts? As a newby, I feel the hardest thing about this type of cooking is the timing of the cook/ and getting the rest of the meal done at the same time. I hope some in-sight from others can help a somewhat frustrated smoker out. Keep in mind, I am refering to brisket and butt. I have had great success with the timing with chicken and ribs. Thanks to all who have read this novel and for any help you may give on this timing subject. Big Ir

You can keep a wrapped (plastic and foiled) brisket or butt in a dry cooler for hours above 140? (4 to 6 hours). I have found that pussing the cook as you tried can work but but you will not get the best results, overnight is the way to go. Give your self 16 to 18 hours for the brisket and at least 12 for the butts, and then hold as needed in the cooler.
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back