Just pulled the trigger

Taylor Martin

.... And bought a 22.5 wsm. Oh yea! Just stocked up on charcoal... 20lb bags at lowes for 4 bucks... K blue to be exact.

Anyway, I'm going to do chicken thighs and sausage on its maiden voyage.

Any suggestions? I've heard you should use a water pan for the first few smokes? Why is this?

I'd also like to get a temp probe but i am NOT a handy man and drilling holes and such worries me.
Any tips there would be welcome too.

Welcome...
wsmsmile8gm.gif

It advised to use water initially to stabilize temps, since the WSM is a water smoker. I still use water, but some use sand, clay base, or just an empty foiled pan for easier cleanup.

You can run the temp probe (make sure it's the metal braid, not the rubber) under the lid. I do it and so do many others without any ill effects.

Thighs and sausage sound great!!!

Congrats on the new smoker! I got mine a couple weeks ago.

My first smoke was a couple butts. The water bowl really made it easy to control the temp for low and slow (225-250). Butts turned out great.

My next smoke was a couple beer can chickens. even without the water pan I had a hard time getting the temp high enough (300-350) to get crisp skin. The flavor was great, but the skin was tough.

As far as a temp probe - you can put it through the upper vent hole or through the door hole. The Weber door is a bit flimsy and doesn't fit to tight.

I am sure some of the "seasoned" expert on here can give you a little better/more detailed answer.

Good luck with your chicken and sausage!

You're gonna love it!!!
For now I also run probe under the top but will be drilling a hole for a grommet soon enough.
Used water pan for the first several cooks but now just line with foil.
If you decide to get a probe consider the Maverick 732. Allows monitoring both cooker and food temp remotely.
Steve

You have plenty of company here!! My only comment is with chicken, go easy on the wood...the smoke can easily overpower the bird.

Enjoy!

JJ

Congrats Taylor,
I just assembled mine last night and will be doing my first cook on Sunday. If you do decide to drill for the probes, I've read that you should drill from the inside out and also to tape (I think painter's tape was specifically mentioned) the (inside) area where you intend to drill. Just check other areas of this forum, and you will find your answer. This forum is 2nd to none!
Best of luck.

Welcome Taylor,

Regarding the temp probe, as others have suggested; just run the wire under the lid.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I've heard you should use a water pan for the first few smokes? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I haven't heard that one. There's no need to 'season' or 'break in' the WSM. The water pan is to help control temps (when filled with water). I almost always use a pan if for nothing else as for a baffle from the direct heat. If you fill it with water, then I assume you are going for a low and slow cook. That's fine. Personally I like a high temp cook for chicken and sausage for that matter. With the higher temps (350-425) the skin will crisp up nicely on the chicken and the sausage will brown. At lower temps the chicken skin will remain a bit rubbery. Low and slow is necessary for certain meats in order for the structure to break down and become tender. Neither chicken nor sausage have that issue. For the higher temps, simply foil the bowl for easy clean up and don't add water. I'd recommend using the Minion Method. Add the meat right after adding the hot coals. Monitor your cook temp as it rises. Start adjusting your bottom vents when the temp is about 50* BELOW your target temp. All vents are open 100% to start and only the bottom ones are partially closed for temp adjustments.

Good Luck!

Paul

Thanks for all the cooking tips! Any suggestions for bacon? I saw a thread talking about how to cure it and this maple recipe but i can't find it now!??
icon_confused.gif

One more thing on the original topic. I suggest using a fruit wood for your smoke. I like apple.

I run my probe cable under the lid and I would foil the bowl and leave it empty for all the reasons above. Good luck and I look forward to the bacon suggestions, I haven't tried that yet.

Back